二 (ℙ𝕖𝕠𝕡𝕝𝕖 𝕊𝕦𝕔𝕜 𝔹𝕦𝕥 𝕃𝕚𝕤𝕥𝕖𝕟𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕥𝕠 𝔾𝕠𝕤𝕤𝕚𝕡 𝕨𝕚𝕥𝕙 𝕒 ℂ𝕦𝕡 𝕠𝕗 𝕋𝕖𝕒 𝕚𝕤 ℙ𝕣𝕚𝕞𝕖)

Ugh, I'm so frustrated. All I want to do is read, but NO, I have to socialize. I reluctantly trail behind Haruto as we head towards his clique. To keep up appearances, I force a smile and walk calmly, but inside, I am furious and dreading the thought of having to endure their mind-numbing conversations about clothes and wealth.

  "Haruto, you're back. It took you long enough," one of his friends says as they noticed our approach. "And you brought the bookworm midget with you," he adds with a wry smile, eyeing me.

As I observe the group of friends, I can't help but feel unimpressed by the lack of creativity. Bookworm midget? Wow, so original, I sarcastically think to myself. Among them are a few girls, all of whom are dressed in gaudy, colorful dresses and sporting haughty expressions on their faces.

  "Yes. You've brought dear little MeLaan with you. How unfortunate" A girl in a lime green dress pipes up with a smirk. I simply give her a nonchalant glance staying silent. "I honestly feel bad for you Haruto. You have to get married to her  when you're 18" With a tone of sarcasm, she speaks with a feigned expression of sympathy. Her friends snicker in response.

  "It cannot be helped," Haruto says woefully, "my family agreed to this since the Saigos are influential and of high status." He then flashes the girls a smile making some of them flustered, "But don't worry. I won't forget about you ladies" I stand to the side and roll my eyes. Feeling exasperated I take a seat at one of the tables and cross my legs. Reaching into the inner pocket of my blazer and taking out a small book, calmly begin to read. I filter out the chatter and music, immersing myself in the story.

Oh dear. Hajime has no sense of loyalty, does he? Who in their right mind sleeps with their girlfriend's cousin? More than once no less.  I think while reading "South of the Border, West of the Sun" by Murakami Haruki, ignoring the jeers from Haruto's friends.

The man closest to Haruto laughs mockingly. "Always with your nose in a book don't you? Haven't you got a life?" he chides, causing the others to join in laughter.

Not bothering to acknowledge his existence I flip to the next page, eyes flicking left to write as I intently read. What in the world? Hajime has flings with other women even after he's married with kids? Why the hell is his father-in-law encouraging him to do this?! Flummoxed I flip to the next page eagerly, not reacting to the mockery being thrown at me. Out of frustration Haruto snatches my book from my hands and holds it above my reach. I blink a couple of times trying to process what happened before looking up at Haruto.

  "Give me my book back," I say in an unimpressed tone.

  "How about no? Didn't your parents tell you to socialize?" Haruto teases with a smirk dangling the book over my head. "You're meant to get to know me aren't you?"

  "Why would I want to get to know you?" I respond flatly remaining seated,

  "Ouch. A bit harsh don't you think?" He asks feigning hurt, his hand on his chest.

  "Well toughen up and get a helmet," I say calmly despite my growing vexation, "Just give me my book back and you can go off and do whatever it is you do with your minions."

  "I could tell your parents you're being rude to me. We can see how that ends, yeah?" He says with a sardonic grin, "It's sad how your own parents prefer me over you."

  "That's nice now hand over the book please," I say gesturing for him to give back my book "Nobody likes a snitch after all."

Scoffing the blonde unceremoniously tosses my book back to me, "You are no fun. All you ever want to do is read and you are so boring I'd rather watch paint dry." He turns back to his friends and jerks his head indicating that they leave, "Come on guys. I'm bored, let's go find something else to do." Murmurs of agreement rose as their group all sauntered off, some of them giving me flippant looks as they pass by.