Chapter 4: Miscreant

Yongsun walked around Majuchim happily. She enjoyed roaming the streets of the town, mostly because she no longer had to hide her hair. She looked like a commoner, but she did not mind. She was free.

Until she stepped into an alley and encountered a group of thieves, their faces hidden underneath their hoods.

More than anything, and rightfully so, Yongsun was scared. Her heart pounded hard and she turned pale. She cowered, and the crippling fear made her unable to move a single inch.

"Alright now, lady. No one has to get hurt. Just give us what we want. Come on, show us the money, aye?", the man spoke with an accent. He walked towards Yongsun, playing with the knife on his hand.

The others gawked at Yongsun. One was particularly eyeing her keenly, almost as if he was undressing her in his mind. They approached closer, and malice was evident in their grins.

Yongsun shivered. She could almost start crying now. Silently, she pleaded to the heavens that a kind heart would pass by and help her.

The heavens were kind enough to answer Yongsun's prayers, as a person came into sight.

He was holding a stick in his left hand, and he dragged it along the ground.

The thieves turned around to see Moonbyul, who stared at them with repulsion.

"What kind of sick joke are the three of you? From what depths of the earth did you all crawl from? You cannot work for yourselves, lads?", Moonbyul taunted the thieves. Seeing their faces turn sour was delightful and it made Moonbyul's blood warm.

"Quite brave with your stick, eh?", the thief to Yongsyn's right jeeringly asked in response. The others laughed with him.

"For all that your words are worth, that is what your sister told me", Moonbyul smiled wryly.

"I have no sister!", the thief answered, pointing his dagger towards Moonbyul.

"Oh. You will soon", Moonbyul grinned. The thief became furious and he gripped his dagger tight, waiting for a order to attack.

"Do you want to go to heaven, pretty boy?", the scoundrel in the middle stepped forward. He stopped playing with his knife and held it properly, ready to stab Moonbyul.

"Now that, is what your mother said to me last night", Moonbyul replied, making the other two thieves break out in laughter.

"You morons!" the middle thief glared at his companions.

"Ey, but he was funny, Gareth!", the thief on the right said to the one in the middle.

"George, you stupid idiot! You just told him our names!", the rascal on the left yelled at the other.

"Grant, you blockhead! Don't tell me what to do!", George uttered.

"Enough!" Gareth shouted. The other two quickly stopped blabbering and turned their attention to Moonbyul.

"I have work to do", Moonbyul mumbled with a sigh. She looked at the thieves and clenched her jaw. "Let us settle this", she stated as she raised the stick in front of her like a sword. A stick was not much, but right now it was her sole weapon against these foul men.

Yongsun looked on. She did not know if she should run. Her feet seemed stuck to the ground.

Moonbyul dashed towards the three men and Yongsun closed her eyes.

The sound of wood against human skin soon reached Yongsun's ears. She opened her eyes to the scene of Moonbyul swiftly dodging the thieves and hitting them with the stick.