Ch. 11 Naina Arora

Abhimanyu's POV

"What does it say?" I asked, my heart beating loudly against my chest. 

"Naina Arora." He said and gave me the sheet back. I sighed in relief. I just hope she is better than that Ananya. Turning around, I planned to leave but the priest stopped me by putting his hand on my shoulder. "Mataji ne swayam ye ladki ko tumhare liya chuna hain, soch samajh ke kiya hoga, isliye khayal rakhna uss ladki ki. Mein umeed kartha hoon ki tum dono bacche hamesha khush rahe aur ek dusre ka sath kabhi na chodhe. Shadi ke baad, iss mandir zaroor aana apne dharmpatni ke sath Maa ke ashirwad lene." 

(The Goddess, herself, chose this girl for you, so she must have clearly thought about it, that's why look after that girl. I hope you both children live happily forever and never leave each other's side. After the marriage, come to this temple again to receive blessings from the Goddess with your wife). 

"Of course."  I walked away, wearing my shoes again.

 Naina Arora. She was the one that he picked and I didn't know how to feel about it. I barely knew anything about her and she was a complete stranger to me. And was this even right? 

Arrgh! 

I was damn confused with this marriage thing! What good could it possibly bring me except from some responsibility that will carry my surname for a lifetime? And, would Maa be happy with this when she learns that I chose some other girl? I know Dad will be over the moon but Maa...? I inhaled deeply and drove to the Mansion. The guard opened the gates and let me in. I thanked him as I parked the car and got out of it. Wishing myself good luck for the drama that was about to take place, I moved to the entrance of the house. Dadi was in the living room gossipping with Preeti and Aria as they saw me come in. 

"Abhi, you here? Is everything okay?" Dadi stood up but I gestured her to sit down and kneeled in front of her. "I think I have decided the girl for me." I told her. 

She raised her eyebrows and then glanced up to see the girls listening to our conversation. "Preeti, Aria, call Shalini and the others down. Tell them that Abhimanyu is here." They left with curiosity and confusion on their faces and Dadi looked at me. "How did you decide?" 

"Went to the mandir and asked the priest to pick a piece of paper." 

"And?" 

"And what?" 

"Whose name came up?" 

"Ananya's." I said, trying to see her reaction. Her face fell and there was disappointment written all over her. "What really?" She questioned, as if not wanting to believe me. 

"Yeah..." 

"That's excellent news, Abhi! I knew my son would pick the right girl!" I heard my mother voice and snapped my head towards her. Shit! Now she will misunderstand everything! 

"Maa..." I tried to say something but she didn't let me as she engulfed me in a hug. 

"A wise choice you have made, my dear son." She kissed my forehead and grinned from ear to ear. The light on her features was truly lovely to see but this was all a misunderstanding and I need to clear it up before she calls her friend and tells her that I am going to marry Ananya. 

"Wise choice you say, Shalini? Well, well....where is my son? I need to tell him that he didn't choose so wisely when it came to his wife." Dadi spat sarcastically and Maa rolled her eyes. 

"And you realised this after 28 years? Shame." She replied and pulled me closer and smiled. "I can't believe you want to marry Ananya!"

Dadi smiled as well, glaring daggers at her daughter-in-law. "Don't be on cloud nine yet love, this marriage is not happening without me consulting a Priest and I am pretty sure that Ananya won't be a good choice for him."