Ch. 19 Keemat

"Keemat kya hain tumhari?"
(What's your price?)

As soon as those words left his mouth, an inexplicable rage overtook her, and she took a step back, shaking with fury.

"What?!" Naina exclaimed, glaring at him. "What did you just say?"

"Keemat kya hain tumhari?" Abhimanyu repeated with a smirk. "Mujhe pata hain ki tumne shaadi mere se paiso ke liye hi kiyi hain. Toh batao, kitna paisa chahiye tumhe iss ghar ko hamesha ke liye chodne ke liye?" Then, from his pocket, he proceeded to take a bundle of cash out. "Itne kaafi hain ya tumhe aur chahiye?"

(What's your price? I know that you married me for money. So tell me, how much money do you want in exchange for leaving his house forever?)

(Is his enough, or do you want more?)

His words were sharp arrows that hit her heart until it bled. Her tears were that blood that seeped out of her eyes, noticing such hatred in him towards her.

Upset and furious, she raised her hand to slap him but then lowered it, thinking that it was unnecessary. He was right to think that because she indeed married him for money.

Taking a few steps back, she dashed towards her bags and packed everything. Abhimanyu watched her confused.

What was she doing?

Approaching her, he caught her wrist, turning her to look at him. His gaze came in contact with hers, and he felt a painful throb in his chest when he saw her tears. They melted his heart instantly and threatened to peel the many layers of his stone-hearted facade off.

"Leave my hand." She stated, frustrated with him. Immediately, he took a step back and left her hand.

Wiping her tears away, she zipped her bags up.

"Why did you pack your bags?" He questioned, staring at her expressionless face. Naina inhaled before raising her eyes to look at him. "You wanted me to leave your house, so I am leaving." She stated, her voice monotonous as she dragged her bag out of the room.

Suddenly, she paused and looked back at him. "By the way, I don't want your money. I am not that kind of person." Soon, she left while he stood, rooted to his spot.

Abhimanyu wanted to stop her from leaving, but his body refused to move.

****

Naina didn't know how to go out of this house. The elders of the family were still in the living room, and the younger members of the family were in the backyard. There was no way she could leave through the back door or the front one and go back to her home.

Annoyed and overwhelmed by the situation, Naina carried her bag to the backyard and saw Rishabh playing badminton with Preeti and Aria. Their eyes fell on her, and they stopped, ditching their rackets.

"Bhabhi, do you want to play with us?" Preeti asked, gazing at her hopefully. Slowly, Naina shook her head, remembering the incident that happened with her; how her racket had acquired a huge dent after it smashed into a tree trunk.

"Sorry, not today." She denied, darting her orbs to the back door and back at the girls. Rishabh watched her carefully and then spotted her bag, making him understand. He grew suspicious of her. Why did she have her bags with her? Was she leaving his brother?

Telling Aria and Preeti to go inside the house, he moved towards his sister-in-law. The girls left, making their way to the kitchen to drink something. "Bhabhi, aap thik hain?"

(Bhabhi, are you okay?)

He questioned, raising his eyebrows and observing her face with concern. Her face was a little red, and she had tear tracks on her cheeks.