Chapter 4

Third Person POV

It was only a matter of hours before the melee started, Brandon was in his tent with his father, his feelings were betraying him, he was supposed to fight for House Stark, but because of his hot temper and imprudence he made a bet, lost it, and now he will fight for another House, House Ambrosius, Merlin was a person difficult for Brandon to read, they only had met once and it ended up with Brandon taking a cold bath followed by a defeat on a spar which he doubts Merlin fought seriously.

"Still beating yourself up". Rickard Stark, his father, says and Brandon raises his head to look him in the eye.

"A little. In a few hours I'll be fighting for someone I don't even like, yet somehow, I respect". Brandon was honest, Merlin did defeat him fair and square, and the sword he used, if what he said is true, was a magic sword that belonged to a king, there is no shame in being defeated by such a warrior and weapon.

"You'll be fighting for house Ambrosius yes. But you still are and always will be a Stark". Rickard stays at his son's side and bumps his shoulder into Brandon's. "If you win it will be a victory for House Stark as much as House Ambrosius. So, give them everything you got."

"I will". Brandon smiles and his father does the same, but he feels a little mischievous behind it, he feels like Merlin is having an influence on him.

"Good. Because since you are representing House Ambrosius, Ned will be the one to hold Ice in the Melee". Rickard's fangs are soon revealed, there was no malice, but the heir of House Stark was right, Merlin did have some small impact on his family because he doubts his father would've done something like this in the past.

Brandon watches as his father leaves him only for Lyanna to come inside, for some reason she has a chicken egg in one hand and a toad in another, her dress and hair are a mess, full of mud and dirt, but she is smiling for some reason.

"Do I want to know why sister?" Brandon crosses his arms and watches his sister giggle at the egg and toad she has.

"Look, Brandon". Lyanna extended her hands closer, maybe her excitement made her forget that Brandon could see what she had in her hands perfectly. "Merlin told me that if you hatch a chicken egg under a toad a snake called Basilisk will be born".

"That doesn't make the slightest sense". Brandon knew about Basilisks, what they were, where they live, and they definitely were not born the way Lyanna described, he sniffs in disgust looking at the toad who will probably piss or shit on his sister's hand at any minute. "How does that work? How will a chicken egg hatched by a frog give birth to a snake? Lyanna it's obvious that Merlin tricked you, and from what I saw and heard, it is not the first time".

Lyanna puffs her cheeks and blushes, Brandon, his father, and his brothers all told her to keep away from Merlin, before, it was because it could attract non-wanted attention towards House Stark, now it's because the she-wolf was more hyperactive than ever, deluding herself that she can be a mage, or wizard or whatever it's called.

"I know but I have to try, Merlin won't teach me anything unless I prove that I can be a good disciple". Lyanna goes to the nearest table and puts the egg inside a big jar and the toad over it, Brandon should've told his sister that the toad's weight would probably crush the egg, but remained quiet, maybe a little disappointment was what Lyanna needed.

Brandon was sorry for Lyanna, truly, she was being forced to marry Robert Baratheon someone she didn't want nor loved, but Brandon was on the same page, he wanted to marry Barbrey Dustin not some trout from the south, but if he could give up on his love to do his duty then so could his sister.

"*sigh* Okay, and what will you do if you actually manage to hatch a... basilisk?" Brandon doubts that it would be a simple snake if Merlin was actually serious, some part of him believes that when it comes to real magic the mage would always be serious.