27.

Brianna's POV

I went to school early today because I wanted to be there before Harper so we can talk for a bit before class starts.

She walked into the school like two minutes after I did so now we were leaning against the lockers as we talked, mostly flirting but same thing.

Harper stood straight up since she was leaning on the lockers. I just stayed in my same position, leaning on the lockers and admiring the gorgeous girl in front of me.

Then unfortunately, something pulled me out of my trance.

Carter pushed Harper hardly against the lockers "watch where you're going" he said before walking past us. I pushed his back making him turn to look at me "what the fuck is wrong with you? Are you like insane?" I said angry at what he did to Harper.

Wayyyyy angrier than Harper should be. She was a little too calm.

"It's not worth it" Harper said holding my arm and pulling me back "yeah" Carter said, agreeing with Harper then he walked away.

"Why did you let him do that to you?" I asked still angry. She looked away from my eyes "it didn't really hurt"

"Doesn't matter. He's humiliating you in front of everyone and you're not doing anything about it"

"Why are you mad at me?" She asked rubbing the side of her arm. I sighed and shook my head "I'm not mad at you. I just don't like that you don't defend yourself, it's sad and pathetic. I'm not gonna be here to defend you all the time"

"No one told you to" she mumbled and I rolled my eyes at her statement, trying so hard to stay calm so we don't cause a scene at school.

"I'm your girlfriend. If I'm not gonna defend you when you're not defending yourself, who is?"

"You're not my girlfriend yet. We just started dating so just cut it out" she said sternly making my shoulders relax and lips part as I watched her walk away from me.

That kind of hurt because I'm just trying to be a good person and take care of her. I didn't think she would snap like that.

The bell rang so I went to math class and saw her already sitting in her regular desk so I sat down beside her "babe at least look at me" I said since she knew I was there but completely ignored me.

"Didn't think you'd want someone so sad and pathetic like me to look at you" okay so that's what made her upset.

I just want her to stand up for herself, I had genuinely good intentions when I said that. I didn't mean any harm.

"Baby I just want you to stand up for yourself. I didn't think it would hurt you-" she cut me off and turned to look at me "that's the problem. You don't think, at all. I have my own issues and reasons to everything that I do. It doesn't come from nothing"

"You don't open up to me. How is that my fault?!" I asked raising my voice a little bit but going back to being quiet when I realized people were looking at us.

"It doesn't matter. Just forget about it. We're good" she said and sat back when the teacher entered the class.

She said we're good but I know we aren't. I can sense her anger and irritation.

Look at us go. Fighting like a married couple🥰🥰🥰

———

Harper's POV

"Hey" I said stepping aside to let Brianna come into my house since she texted me saying she wanted to come over.

"Hey" I closed the door and locked it. When I turned around, she was already looking at me with those beautiful but sad eyes. I pulled her into a hug which she gladly took.

We went upstairs to my room and closed the door. I sat down on the edge of the bed and she sat down beside me "i didn't mean to call you pathetic. I had good intentions" she explained softly, her voice breaking a little.

I know she had good intentions and didn't mean any harm but I just threw a weird tantrum because of what happened with Carter a while ago.

It just made me mad how I couldn't spit it out and tell her what happened and why I struggle to defend myself against him.

Which is completely childish and something I am very much against because I think communication is key but I'm still a teenager, I will do stupid things and throw stupid tantrums.

"It's okay" I said smiling weakly at Brianna who relaxed at my response "I'm just scared of him" I admitted after a bit of silence.

Her eyebrows frowned together and she turned to face me completely "why?" She asked, worried.

"He beat me up once. I ended up in the hospital and missed a week of school" I said a bit more quietly, looking away from her to not see the pity in her eyes.

"Oh my god baby, i didn't know" of course you didn't.

"Yeah" I was so invisible to her. I was absolutely no one to her. She gave zero shits about me.

Why did she suddenly want to be with me? What is she seeing in me?

I cannot explain to you how mesmerized I was by Brianna's beauty the moment I saw her.

First day of freshman year.

All of us look like shit. Most of us didn't know how to take care of ourselves, didn't know what fit our personalities and looks and we were still growing up and getting our so called "glow up" so we all looked weird.

But not Brianna.

Her presence was noticed by everyone. She was full of energy and joy, it attracted everyone to her.

She has always been so beautiful. Never in my life have I looked at her and thought that she's slightly bad looking. She's just perfect.

I could tell she was a nice girl. She talked to me when no one else did. Of course, it was about school and it was like the quickest conversation ever but still.

When she talked to me, i didn't feel judged or weird like I do with everyone else because they never do a good job in hiding their emotions and judgement. It was pretty clear on their face and they thought i didn't notice.

Well I did and it made me hate myself.

I've tried and done everything in my power to become more attractive so she could at least notice me but she barely looked at me.

It's understandable. I was bad looking, awkward, shy, weird glasses, bad style.. she had everyone else to look at so why would she look at me?

Then there was this one time in the beginning of junior year where she looked at me. I could not explain to you how happy it made me even if I tried.

But then I realized why she was looking at me. It was the day everything turned even worse for me.

A week later, I was going to buy a few things for my mom from the supermarket and as I was walking home, Carter and his friends came towards me with baseball bats and just hit me until I passed out and woke up in a hospital.

I remembered everything and each one of the guys that hit me but they were too privileged to get in trouble so nothing happened to them.

No one talked about it, no one even noticed how bruised I was and that I was missing for a week.

"Why did he.. you know" she said. I sighed and laid down on the bed. She laid down beside me, placing her head on my shoulder "he's not used to having people be different than what he's seen in his life"

"I'm sorry that happened to you baby. You don't deserve that"

Yeah well.. it still hurt more when I heard you say that I'm weird for being different. You don't think I know about that, but I do.