39.

Brianna's POV

"Sit down baby" I made Harper sit down on the edge of the bed and sat down beside her "what did he say to you?" I asked rubbing her back for more comfort.

"He just said that he wanted to see me. I hung up before he got to say anything else" I wrapped my arm around her shoulder and she placed her head on my shoulder.

We heard someone knock on the door "come in" I said making the person behind the door open it and step inside. It was Harper's mom "Harp what happened?" She asked closing the door and sitting on her other side.

Harper looked at me, not knowing if she should tell her mom or not but I just nodded to let her know that she should tell her even if it was going to be painful for her mom.

She doesn't have to go through things like this on her own just to protect the people she loves. She can't protect everyone from everything.

"Dad contacted me" her mom's face completely changed. She looked terrified or shocked, I don't know what it was.

But she stayed quiet and didn't say anything.

"Mom? Please say something, I don't know what to do" Harper said as she played anxiously with her fingers. I placed my hand over hers to calm her down and kissed her shoulder.

"Um.. I don't know what to say. What do you wanna do?" Her mom asked "I don't want him to be a part of my life anymore"

"Then you don't have to have him as a part of your life. It's your decision" her mom said forcing a smile on her face "but what about you?" Harper asked her.

Her mom cupped her face and kissed her forehead "I worry about you, you don't have to worry about me. That's why I'm your mom"

Harper didn't say anything and just nodded "let's go back home. I'll wait for you downstairs" she said standing up and giving me a soft smile before leaving the room.

I looked at Harper who sighed "are you okay?" I asked her again. She nodded "I just wanna go home and sleep" Harper said standing up "okay"

I held her hand and we went downstairs "thank you for having us for dinner. Hopefully we can do it again soon" Harper's mom said "yes of course"

Harper smiled at them "thank you for today. It was really nice" she said making me smile "of course, Harper"

I gave Harper a hug "if you need anything, call me. You don't have to deal with this on your own" I said quietly into her ear. She nodded "okay. I love you"

"I love you too"

———

Harper's POV

I was at the garage working on some car when I heard someone talking. I assumed that it was my co-worker and didn't pay attention to it.

I felt someone tap my shoulder making me remove my wired headphones and turn to see who it was.

"Hi" my lips parted and I felt my heartbeat increasing. I looked away and went towards the table that has my tools, placing down my phone and headphones "you're not gonna say anything to me?" My dad asked me in desperation "I have nothing to say"

"Yell at me, do whatever you want but just talk to me" I swallowed a lump in my throat and turned to look at him "leave" I simply said making him shake his head and step closer to me "no. Not again"

"Why are you acting as if someone made you leave? You left on your own. You chose drugs over my mom and I" I said calmly.

I don't like yelling and I don't think I have the energy to yell and get mad at him right now. I'm too overwhelmed.

"I know but-" I cut him off "I don't want to hear a but. You left. You ruined our lives. That's it. There is no excuse for what you did"

"I know there isn't but all I'm trying to tell you is the first time I left, it was all on my but I tried coming back, I really did but your mom didn't let me stay" what.

"I came back. I wanted to be a part of your life but your mom told me that she doesn't want to see me ever again. I begged her to talk to you and ask for what you want, she said she did but I know for a fact she didn't. You would've talked to me even if it was just to tell me to fuck off"

"You're lying" I said laughing and shaking my head "why would I lie after all those years? I want you to give me another chance to prove that I can be a good dad. I wouldn't lie to you"

"Yes you would. Leave. I need to work on these cars"

———

I stepped into my house and heard talking. I closed the door then the talking stopped so I went to the living room to see who my mom was talking to.

And I saw my dad. Expected but I'm still surprised.

"Tell her. Let her know the truth" I frowned my eyebrows in confusion from what he said and looked at my mom "what truth mom?"

My mom sighed and looked down, not saying anything yet. Then it clicked for me.

"You told me I can make my own decision if he ever shows up but you made him leave without telling me about it?" I asked her raising my voice a little.

She sat down and looked so defeated "I had my reasons-" I cut her off "and I am so sure I would've sided with you IF you told me. We tell each other everything but you decided to hide the most important thing ever"

"He's my dad. You know how hurt I was when he left and how I dreamed about having him back but you did this to me. If you talked to me, I wouldn't have let him be fully back into my life but a nice dinner would've been nice"

She wiped the tear that fell down her face and I felt my dad holding my arm "I-" I cut him off and pushed him back "just because I'm mad at what she did doesn't make you the fucking good guy!" I yelled.

"She takes half of the blame for what happened but you take all of it because you're the one that chose to leave. You took your stuff on your own and left me and my mom!"

"Drugs aren't easy to stop-" I cut him off once again "you made the decision to start doing them in the first place knowing you have a loving amazing wife and a young daughter. You could've thought about the consequences before ruining your entire life. You are not a fucking kid, dad!"

"I'm gonna go to Bri's house" I said calmly to my mom who nodded her head "be safe"