Chapter 7: The Ideal Self

AN:  A very dark and disturbing chapter...

Chapter 7: The ideal self

       A person was staring at their reflection. A pair of dark brown eyes and brown hair. They have a stoic expression.

After a minute of gazing at their reflection, the stoic expression broke. Showing exhaustion in their dark brown eyes and insecurity on their face.

" I need to work hard until I am good enough. "

They muttered to themselves biting their lips.

After a while, someone whispers.

' Haven't you not done so many things? Is it not enough? Would they not be satisfied? '

" .. No. I need to do more. I am lacking compared to them.  "

' Them? Why do you think so? Aren't you the perfect one compared to them?  '

"  I need to study more... I need to be more capable. "

' You're bland and boring. '

The individual showed an expression of hurt on their face.

" I agree. I am bland compared to them. "

' Compared to you, they have more personality. The second is adored and cherished as the result of their love. The first one is cherished as a reminder of his first love. What about you? '

With those words, the individual showed more expression of hurt on their face. Clutching their chest, as if the hand placed in them would alleviate the pain that they are feeling inside.

After a moment, The individual muttered looking at their reflection.

" I am not important... "

They muttered before revealing a fake smile on their face.

" That's why I must work hard. That's why I need to be better so that I become more cherished by them. "

' You're correct. '

Someone whispers before questioning again.

' But what if your hard work wasn't enough? '

".. I. "

' What if all of your efforts are useless?  No matter what actions and work you took, they would never bring praise and affection. '

"...."

' You are never needed in their life.'

"..."

' You are just a reminder of her former love and only reminding her of pain. '

Feeling their chest being twisted with more pain by the words whispered to them, they decided to lash out.

" It is the same for him! He was a reminder of his former love! Why is he not berated for his misbehaviour? Why is he indulging him? "

There was jealousy and anger in their voice.

' Because he was the first and you are not. You are neither the youngest cherish one. You are in the middle. '

" It's correct. "

' You are the middle. The unimportant.  The replacement. '

With those words, the strong front that the person was wearing broke. Their legs shook and they kneeled on the ground while still looking at their reflection. Tears started falling in their dark brown eyes.

Their reflection smiled gently at them.

' Don't worry I could help you with your troubles. '

" ..How? "

The individual questioned while still talking to themselves.

' To reach your ideal self and their perfect image of you. Isn't that what your goal is for working hard for these past years? '

' The perfect image of you. Someone who was relied on by him and cherished by everyone you cared about. '

The reflection showed an image of their self. Someone who was standing confidently, someone who was strong, someone who was strong and someone who was surrounded by their cherished people.

More tears broke out from their face as they saw the image despite the heartache that they were feeling, they showed an expression of great longing towards the image shown on the reflection.

" I want it. I want to be my perfect self.  "

They placed their hand on the surface of the reflection and asked.

" Please, how could I obtain it? "

' It's simple. '

The image disappeared. It was replaced again by their reflection smiling gently and benevolently on them.

' Look for a knife to cut your wrist and forge a contract.

Hearing those words, the longing on their face disappeared replaced by uncertainty and fear.

"... What am I doing? "

Before the doubt could turn into suspicion, the reflection erases those thoughts with a hurtful question.

' So do you want to remain as the unlovable you? Do you want to remain as your unworthy self? '

" No! "

The person shouted desperately. Looking around frantically in their room, their eyes lit up when they found the cutting knife for their papers. They picked it up and returned to standing in front of their smiling reflection.

' That's so easy to find, isn't it? Now, you only need to cut your wrist and let the blood flow in front of the mirror to reach your ideal self. '

" ... My ideal self. "

' That's right.  Your ideal self and your perfect image of yours that would be loved unlike you. You would erase the former and be your ideal self. Taint your unworthy reflection with your blood. '

" .. I could do it. "

With hands shaking, they brought the cutting knife to their left wrist.

' Your weak self would be replaced by the confident and strong you... '

Trembling and closing their eyes as they felt tears start falling again, the person prepared their move.

'... Basen Henituse. '

At the same moment, the door to his room broke. With a frantic expression, Cale Henituse along with the others entered Basen's room. Seeing Basen's teary eyes and the face full of pain and what he is holding in his hand right now, Cale was angry.

" Basen! "

".. Br- Brother? "

Basen stammered his heart beating fast as he saw his half-brother with an angry expression on his handsome face. Then his gaze went to the unknown person with ash hair and golden eyes, their family servant Hans and Ron, the 4th prince who has a grim expression on his face and their father Count Deruth Henituse who was looking at him with a pale expression.

"..F- Father?! "

While Basen stammered those words, he felt an intense pain in his hand.

That's right. He cut himself. He was losing blood and he felt his body slowly turning cold and his consciousness turning black.

" Insecurity, low self-esteem and envy... It is not the traits that I am looking for a host to possess... but since my other self is here, I have no choice but to settle for your incompatible and lacking self.  "

Basen saw his 'reflection' wickedly smiling at him before he fell to slumber his blood tainting the full body mirror in red.