🕸️ Prologue 🕸️

It was Dreadfall on Berk, and while the inhabitants of Berk were dancing with each other, collecting food and having a good time, you were sat in the forest, leaves red and orange as they fell around you.

A small dragon was in front of you, tusks retracted into its mouth.

This dragon was your age, being a young male Deathgripper who you deemed could have the name 'Paradox'.

"Come on, Paradox! That was my apple!" You said to the dragon, who Currently was hoarding the apple you used to have.

Paradox roared at you in retaliation when you tried to grab it, threatening to stab you with his Stinger as he chewed on the apple.

You groaned as you laid back, hands behind your head, looking up into the sky.

Paradox finished the apple and roared at a nearby Terrible Terror, before hopping towards you and looking down at you, dripping saliva onto your arm.

You were the only person on Berk who had befriended a dragon, let alone one as dangerous as a Deathgripper, and you decided that on Dreadfall, would be the day you left Berk in hopes for them to never find out about Paradox.

"We should be leaving, shouldn't we?" You asked Paradox, raising a brow as you removed dragon slobber off your arm.

Paradox roared at you in contemplation, before nodding.

You sighed and sat up, holding yourself up with your hands as you smiled down at the small Strike class dragon.

Paradox flapped his wings a little, gesturing to a sac you had brought and filled with mutton, fish and apples, knowing that Paradox ate fish and other types of meat along with dragons.

He could hunt his own dragons, because you weren't about to take gronckle's out for him.

"I know, I know." You said, beginning to get up from your cross-legged position.

Dreadfall was your favourite holiday, and spending it with Paradox made it even better.

Paradox roared at you, you grabbing the sac and swinging it over your shoulder, Paradox following you as you began to walk out of the forest.

"I'm really gonna miss Berk." You told the dragon, Paradox only roaring in response to this.

He rubbed up against you a little, in order to comfort you as you and him continued walking.

You were fully prepared to leave, as you had everything along with the willpower to leave with Paradox so that you and him could live a life without being forced to hunt or kill dragons.

You didn't see yourself with that future.

The Deathgripper that you managed to befriend seemed a little odd, as it had a skeleton-like scale pattern drawn out on it, along with orange and white accents on his black scales, but you didn't mind.

He only looked cooler.

Paradox roared a little at you, his tail waving idly as he spotted a small sailboat that you had managed to get out to the other side of the island and away from anyone who might see the boat leaving with you and Paradox.

You and him planned the escape off of berk a while back.

When you and Paradox met, he was malnourished and a little beat up from a large storm that wiped over berk, and after you realized his parents weren't coming back for him, you managed to get the dragon to stop trying to eat you.

That was arguably the hardest part about it, since whenever he got hungry, he used to try and start stinging you or biting you, occasionally setting small fires with the acid he spews out of his mouth which is flammable.

"Come on!" You said to him, smiling as you began to run down a grassy hill.

Paradox ran after you, getting into the air to catch up with you as you headed towards the already packed boat.

It had everything you and Paradox would need.

It had a Berkian shield just in case, pillows, blankets, water, food, a sword you were taught how to use by Gobber and even some medicine you managed to take from your parents after they recovered from a sickness Gothi helped cure them from.

You stepped onto the boat as Paradox did the same, immediately rolling over a piece of mutton to the other side of the boat where the food was.

You looked over at a map you had on one of the barrels, squinting your eyes at it.

You wanted to go off the archipelago, and off the map completely, so you had managed to make a route with several stops onto different islands that you knew were... relatively safe, at least.

The island you felt was ideal for you and Paradox would be something with a rocky beach, a not too large island, but still lush and maybe a little bit marshy.

It was so Paradox could be able to have successful hunts, and you simply really wanted him to be comfortable in his environment, after reading the book of dragons, and finding out Deathgripper's liked Marshy areas that were also dry at the same time.

"We should be able to get to the first island within four hours!" You said, smiling at Paradox. "I think."

Paradox roared in annoyance at you, scuttling off towards a few Terrible Terror's who were walking around the boat and growling at them, unsheathing his tusks.

You were taught how to use a boat by a couple of the Vikings on Berk, mainly your family, in case you'd ever need it.

You knew they wouldn't have been happy to know you'd use such a skill to get off berk willingly and never come back with a dragon aboard the boat.

The Deathgripper went back to you as you started to undo one of the ropes, which pulled a sail down and immediately got the boat going, you pulling a lever to get the boat to go straight to port as you stared at the map.

You looked back, seeing Berk off in the distance, the sky getting darker.

"Y'know, I think I'm gonna have a bunch of fun with you." You said, looking to Paradox.

The dragon roared in return, his tail waving around, looking over to look at the water, rather excited about leaving.