Chapter 4- Kian

Aloras pov:

It had been 3 hours since Irene had shown me the painting room. I decided to try painting in it while I have some free time. I changed out of my sweater and jeans into an old t-shirt covered in paint and sweatpants. I put my hair into a quick messy bun and start to walk towards the painting room.

"I'm gonna go paint for a little bit," I tell Irene who's sitting at the kitchen counter. "Wait I'll come with you," she says with a mouth full of food, jumping up from the kitchen stool and bringing her muffin with her.

I laugh as we walk towards the paint room. Opening the door, my breath gets taken away from the view again. I tried to enjoy this moment but it was being ruined by the music still playing next door.

"God who plays music that loud for 4 hours straight?" I say looking back at Irene as I walk towards my paints to pick some colors. I chose some whites, blues, blacks, purples, and greens. I planned to paint some swans.

"Uhm yeah, who does that? He must be having a hard time." Irene joked, not making eye contact but instead looking down at her muffin and fiddling with the edge of her plate. 

How did she know it was a he?

I note that the topic of our neighbor was making her uncomfortable again. I don't know why she keeps getting so uncomfortable when I bring him up. "Irene is everything okay?" I ask her.

She looks up at me from the stool she was now sitting on and continues to tell me "Yeah it's just uhm, they're actually coming over tomorrow to help us put furniture together, so I just want you to like them." She tells me, now calling him a them. I don't mention that what she's saying makes no sense but instead, I just nod and sit on the stool in front of a blank canvas.

"Irene of course I'm gonna like them," I say "unless they keep playing that music every time I'm in this room." I continue. Irene just laughs and seems to relax a little. I don't know why she wants me to like them so much if they're only coming over once to put our furniture together. It's not like they're gonna be over 24/7. I brush it off and continue to paint.

Irene had left after only half an hour. She said she had to run some errands. She was always out and about running around so it wasn't very surprising for me. I was covered in paint and desperately needed to take a shower, but I took the chance to paint alone while I could. Plus it gives me some peace and silence. Well, at least some peace. If only the person next door would turn their music off.

The more and more their music plays the more my head starts to hurt. After a while I start to hear nails being hammered into the walls. I might just rip through the wall separating our apartments just to tell them to shut up. I think moving has made me very impatient because I usually wouldn't get this mad. 

Eventually, I can't take it anymore. "I'm just gonna go ask them nicely to turn it down," I whisper to myself. Standing up, walking out into the hallway, and turning left to their apartment door I slightly doubt myself. I reach up to knock on the door but pause.

'Come on Alora, just ask them. What's the worst that could happen?' I ask myself. I finally knock, but I'm guessing the music was too loud to hear the first knock because no one opened the door so I knock again. Still no answer. I knock one more time keeping my eyes on the ground. Before I can finish kncoking the door swings open and my hand punches a man right in the chest. 

"Oh my god I'm so sorry I didn-" I start before I look up and see who it is. It's him. I immediately stop apologizing. He doesn't deserve my appologies. 

Kian Gavla.

Kian and I went to the same high school. We were always in the same classes, which was surprising because we were both in all advanced classes, and Kian does not seem like the type to try in school.