chapter forty eight. can i kiss you

When Ever gets to the mall it feels like she's been biking for ages. She remembers Jackie mentioning wanting shoes but she stops at the flower shop first, buying roses and then she buys a box of chocolates like they do in the movies. This felt wrong but she had to try.

As she makes her way out of the candy store, she sees Jackie and Kelso and she swallows down what feels like her heart that's been stuck in her throat. "Everly!" Jackie runs up to her, jumping into the girl's arms as Ever swings her in the air.

"Jackie, you're here." She tries to be a little surprised. She didn't know what to say, or what to do. She had been practicing what to say in the mirror a few times but she forgot everything.

"Ever, what are you doing here?" Kelso approaches them as Ever hands the box of chocolates and the roses to Jackie. "Are these for me?" Jackie cheers, "See Micheal, it doesn't hurt to do something nice for someone you care about." Jackie turns to him, hitting his arm.

"I was gonna do something special, I was gonna take you to the Hub and then we were gonna get high in Eric's basement." Kelso explains and Jackie scoffs. "We do that everyday." Jackie smiles as she smells the roses, her eyes flickering up to meet Ever's.

"Well what do you wanna do?"

"I wanna hang out with Ever." Jackie stomps her foot on the ground.

"I thought we were gonna do it! This is why I came here!"

"No, I came here for shoes!" Jackie held up her arm covered with bags of shoes. "Not everything is about doing it. And you know I don't like it when you call it that. Come on, Ever." Jackie takes Ever's hand as she starts pulling the girl away.

"I didn't drive here by the way, I came on my bike." Ever opens the door to the mall as Jackie heads out first, black hair swaying in the night.

"It's fine, we'll put all of this in your basket I bought you." Jackie puts the bags in the little flowery basket she bought Ever. The blonde girl despised it at first but it grew on her, just like Jackie had done.

"Thank you for the roses," Jackie gets on the back of the bike, Ever smiles. "And the chocolates." She puts the box away as Ever climbs onto the front of the bike, getting ready to take them somewhere for food.

"I know you like that kind of stuff." Ever says when Jackie wraps her arms around the girl's midriff, desperate not to fall off. "I like when you do it." The bike ride is short before they reach the Hub, both girls smiling. "I actually really wanted to go on that picnic with you today." Jackie slides into a booth and Ever slides in next to her, their hips touching one another.

"I was hoping we could spend the day together." Ever tugs at the blonde side of her bangs that she got a week ago. "I feel like my days are better when I'm with you." Jackie states when the waitress asks for their order. They take their usual, fries and milkshakes, and they promise to share their milkshakes.

"I don't know what that means." Ever moves uncomfortably in her seat.

"It means you're my favourite person, silly." Jackie plays with the bangs on the black side, the hair curling around her fingertips.

"You're my favourite person too, but I don't think we mean it in the same way." Ever is so close to Jackie that she can feel the girl's breath on her lips.

"No I'm confused." Jackie giggles.

"I mean, I like you." Ever holds her breath. "I like like you." Her eyes feel bigger than usual.

"But the other day-" Jackie pulls away.

"You pushed me away."

"You were sad."

"I was in love with you, I've always been in love with you. You just never seemed to like me." Jackie's bottom lip quivers a little.

"I didn't know you, not until now and I felt bad. It felt like I was taking advantage of you but I needed to tell you how I felt. I needed you to know." Ever was on her feet as the waitress brought their food before quickly rushing off.

"And now that I've said it, I can't take it back."

"I don't want you to take it back."

"What about Kelso? I didn't want to ruin things."

"But I want to be with you." Jackie takes Ever's hand into her own. "I'll fix it, we'll be together. Can I kiss you?"

"Soon." Ever smiles and Jackie jumps into her arms as the girl with the split hair wraps her arms around Jackie.