39- it's been a weird day

The four hooked the boat up to Kie's car and made it to the dump where they said they'd meet. The last 20 minutes were spent filling up on gas and loading with supplies like food. Having missed interaction with most of the other world, the four didn't know a storm was coming.

"Where is he?" Kie got twitchy and nervous that John B wouldn't make it for whatever reason. If he didn't make it he would most definitely get caught if he wasn't caught already.

"Give him a second. He'll be here," Pope said, still retaining optimism. Steve had been sitting on the little jetty with her feet dangling over the water, almost not wanting John B to come. Because that would mean actually saying goodbye.

"He's coming. He'll be fine." JJ echoed the words of Pope. The group were calm until sirens which they thought were just driving by, came closer and closer till the police car itself was visable.

"Shit." Stevie stood up quickly, her voice still coarse, "Get on the boat"

"Wait," JJ said as he looked up to see the unthinkable.

"Fuck off," Stevie smiled as she saw non-other than her luck-defying brother casually getting out of the driver's side of the car.

"Shoupe let me take it for a spin," John B said nonchalantly as he put his arms through his backpack and walked over to the boat as if nothing was wrong and he wasn't a wanted man.

"Okay, that's believable for now," Kie sounded shocked as she walked forward with her arms open, ready to encapsulate John B in a hug.

"Are you ok?" Stevie ran towards her brother once Kie had separated from him. Just seeing his face made her whole body relax. For a moment everything was fine.

"It's been a weird day." John B understated the situation as he looped his arms around his sister in a calming hug.

"Yeah, I bet." Stevie smiled when they broke away. She had almost forgotten that the only reason they were meeting was to say goodbye. this would be the last time they'd see each other for a while, Stevie wasn't sure if she could take it.

"Where's Sarah?" John B's smile fell as he noticed the absence of his girlfriend.

"She's not with you?" Kie asked even if the answer seemed obvious.

"No," John B started to panic, "No. We got separated in the swamp. She said she was gonna meet me here."

"We haven't seen her." Pope hatred to be the bearer of bad news.

"Okay, well, I'm not leaving without her," John b was clearly letting his love overshadow the severity and urgency that John B needed to get out.

"John B," JJ grabbed his shoulder. "Look at me. I know you feel bad for leaving but there's no time, man," JJ somehow could always talk some sense into John B. "You've got plenty of gas, plenty of food." JJ reiterated the details about where to go and where to run but as the plan got closer and closer to a reality, John B looked upset and guilty for leaving.

"Hey guys, " His voice was on the edge of tears, making Stevie well up too. She knew it was coming, that the last few days have been all about getting John B out but the whole time she was focused on the next step. She wasn't prepared for John B to actually leave her. Her only family left. "I'm sorry for basically... throwing us off a cliff with this whole treasure hunt thing,"

He had nothing to be sorry for.

"We were bound to turn off a cliff at some point right?" Stevie smiled as the tears flowed down her cheeks and everyone let out pained laughs.

"At least we did it together," JJ linked arms with Pope and Kie who were standing next to him, Kie wrapped her arm over Stevie who was on the edge. "Pogue style"