3 - Separation

Mom kept his promise and woke him early enough so he could put on his school clothes and sit down to a big breakfast of scrambled eggs and steak with Dad.

Dad was dressed for work too, but he didn't wear suits as often in their new home as he did when he was in the city.

Today, he wore jeans and a black T-shirt, although he had a stack of business papers with him at the table.

Iori bounced in his chair and waved his fork around as he talked around mouthfuls of food.

Sometimes he pretended to conduct an invisible orchestra.

The third time he asked what time it was, Dad got up from the table and left the kitchen area. After a few moments, he returned with a portable alarm clock, which he set directly in front of Iori's plate with such a look at Iori that he had to giggle.

Out of the corner of his eye, he could see that Mom was laughing quietly too.

"Sorry, not sorry," Iori said.

He had picked that one up off the Internet.

"So I can see," said Dad, with one eyebrow raised.

Mom went to the kitchen for more coffee, which was when Dad turned to look him in the eye.

All the humor was gone from his face, and it made Iori sober too.

"You're going to be stronger than anyone else today, including the teachers," said Dad in a quiet way that said he meant business.

"Tetsutetsu and a few other guards will be nearby to keep an eye on things, but they won't be on school grounds. I want you to promise me you'll watch your temper, and you'll do as your teacher says."

"Yessir," said Iori. He sat up straight.

Dad gave him a smile. "Good boy."

But what if he wasn't? What if he wasn't a good boy?

The hot, tight feeling returned, and he had to put down his fork.

He asked, "May I be excused?"

Dad's gaze went to the food that Iori had left on his plate, but he didn't say anything about it.

Instead, he said, "Sure. Go brush your teeth and get your backpack."

Iori's new backpack was full of everything on his school list, like glue, scissors, and crayons.

He dashed off to do as he was told, and all too soon, Mom, Ochaco and he piled into one of the SUVs and headed for school.

The trip seemed to take forever, but all of a sudden, Ochaco made a right turn, and he realized they were pulling into the school parking lot.

He stared curiously at the large school playground, which was located behind a tall, chain link fence.

Big trees offered lots of shade, and there were two jungle gyms, along with a swing set.

He watched as Mom slipped on a baseball cap and dark sunglasses. He wore the cap and glasses a lot when they went out.

Mom called it his incognito look. Turning to him, Mom gave him a bright smile.

"Are you ready?"

No. "Yes!"

"Okay, let's go."

As they climbed out of the vehicle, he realized that other parents and kids were going into the school too.

Most were either human or Nyr, but he also noticed one girl who looked Dark Fae.