2:FRIENDS AND FOES

Chapter 2*
Arnaud stepped out of his massive car which was surrounded by bodyguards. He looked up at the intricately designed skyscraper before blowing smoke from his nostrils. A cigar was stuck between his index and middle finger. I signaled his butler to lead the way inside. They walked through the usually busy ground floor with a few people here and there parking and loading materials onto tracks and lorries. They walked past a mean looking old man who seemed to be the boss of the base. They cut left to a series of dimly lit corridors before they took a flight of to the lower floor which was loud. The underground casinos where rich merchants or their spoilt sons came to squander money as they wished. They walked past the betting section to the right where a door that could be barely seen was located. A bouncer stood by the door. He looked like a definite killer and a guy who was dedicated to his job and nothing more. He was a few inches taller than Arnaud himself. He moved his massive hand and opened the door for them. They walked in before the door was shut almost immediately as if to hide whatever was on the other side. The room was filled with a series of lights, several strippers and pole dancers swaying and entertaining no one in specific. Everyone was busy drinking and chatting as they wasted their muscles to get something in their stomachs. There were several sets of sofas in the room all shiny red. A single one stood at the far end . Specially designed for Arnaud the master of the casino. He sat there majestically, his men stood behind him keeping guard. Five middle aged men sat on the other three sofas and two young men on the one to the left of Arnaud. He didn't bother to great anyone he kept smoking slowly one leg draped over the other.
"Get me a cola miss" he said to the waitress by the door who rushed off immediately.
"You don't drink Arnaud? As far as I can remember, you did" said the silly looking guy with black a and d blue inky hair.
"Have you been keeping an eye on me Lincoln?, If you did how comes this one passed you?"
"It is not that, it's just strange that a mafia king can come down here for a bottle of cola" he responded
"Are you teasing me? Or you just want to piss me off?"
"Don't be like that sir Arnaud. You know we are adults okay? So we should understand each other" he laughed nervously
"You dare call me a kid you little man! Do you have a death wish? Or you haven't heard of testimonies of the many who got on the wrong side of Arnaud Eduard? Should I take you to the backyards where they are buried so you can ask them? You shouldn't play with fire unless you already have your will written Lincoln. It will be so sad, you even don't have a son to take over!" Arnaud shook his head giving the boy a pitiful gaze.
Lincoln on the other hand was trembling in fear. What kind of beast had they come here to meet? Was he dying today? His eyes alone were enough to send him to the grave!
To his surprise Arnaud begun laughing and everyone else in the room was doing the same, Lincoln was confused, what had just happened? His cousin; Bryan who was sitting beside him was laughing hard patting his shoulders.
"Lincoln, welcome to the game. That is how scary it is" said Bryan.
"So he was teasing me and you can't give me a hint?" Lincoln was pissed a little
"It is the thing that every newcomer goes through. The first time his son came here we did the same but he's a hard nut to crack. He didn't fall for it" replied Bryan making Lincoln a little bit at ease.
Arnaud on the other side was smiling proudly, his son was amazing.
"So what is the issue Mr Lincoln and Bryan?" Asked Arnaud
Just when Lincoln was about to answer the door was suddenly opened and a cold breeze filled the room. Everything seemed to go still for a moment. The dancers and strippers froze on the spot. The drinks seemed to lose their taste at that instant. At the door stood a silhouette of Alistair himself. His eagle like eyes scanned the room and the corner of his lips curved upwards slowly. His hair scattered on his forehead made him look even more handsome. His hands were pocketed as he faced the strippers and pole dancers. His eyes alone communicated 'get out or die'.
The ladies scrambled out of the room through the other entrance. Then he stared at the DJ who was immersed in his music. He snorted as he walked over to Arnaud and took the cigar from his hands. Then he approached the DJ.
"Go and finish that for me, and carry this chatterbox with you. Burn it, it's too loud."
The young man was confused but he didn't question about anything. He carried the mixer out hastily.
Then Alistair looked at his father.
"He will burn it"
Arnaud laughed and sent one of his men out.
"Tell him if he burns it, he will pay with every cell in his body"
"He will wet his pants now" Alistair.
"Clear this table miss, this things you drink smell like poison. Get me a bottle of wine, fine wine from grapes"
Bryan glared at Alistair, how dare he do things as if he owns the world? Who does he think he is? But deep down he feared this man.
"I wasn't done drinking" Bryan said.
"Then continue drinking, I won't stop you" Alistair answered as he sat down.
"But my drinks have been taken away"
"Run after them"
The waitress set the table again with fine wine and Alist poured himself a drink.
"
Qu'est-ce qu'on est pour, père?" What are we here for father? Asked Alist
"Lincoln go ahead"
"My father's company was sabotaged by unknown people. He was attacked at the western fields at the border of the Black forest. His men turned against him he's only left with Lee, his body guard."
"What was he doing at the west?"
"He was meeting up with Martin Luther, he had promised to help him with his company "
"When the attack happened where did the so called Martin go?"
"His men took him out of the area in his personal helicopter "
"So he ran off and left his friend in trouble, right?"
"He didn't know it was my father's men who were....
"You are not Martin, how do you know what he was thinking?" Alist asked
Lincoln went silent.
"Keep an eye on that Martin and his men too. We can't trust him"
"But he ..
"Hold it Bryan, if you knew how to handle this you could have already helped your cousin and not run here"
Bryan wanted to punch him on the face.
"So where is the old man?"
"He was admitted at the New Life Community Hospital "
"Is he alone?" Alist ask as he shook the wine in his glass
"Lee is with him"
"Just Lee?"
"Yes...
"And you call yourself a son? Lincoln, the old man Marcus was about to be assassinated and you left him with just one man. What if the enemy comes back with a thousand men? Will he be able to handle all of them?"
Lincoln was silent facing the floor.
"You have thirty minutes or early morning we will add a late to the name Marcus."
"What are you saying?" Growled Bryan.
"Jeep staring at me, instead of calling your men if you got any"
Lincoln rushed to the phone called and begun punching numbers fiercely.
"Am I talking to the troop J. Where is the commander?.... Give him the phone...yes I need you at the New Life Community Hospital...right now and you better hurry"
He hanged up and called another.
"Hello, are you still at the spot? Yes..... Under siege? Did you say it is surrounded?....what are the men wearing? Our family seal?.....that is crazy....where you are don't move I will be there in a few.... Yes and make sure they don't get to that floor yet I will see what I can do....."
When he finished talking he was panting like a predator coming from a hunt.
"We need to go Bryan, or we will be too late"
"Don't forget to take one captive, a hostage will be useful" said Alist.
They rushed off as they fixed their guns then suddenly the room was silent. Arnaud stared at his son proudly.
"How did you know?"
"Les vieilles habitudes meurent fort" old habits die hard.
"It is the same strategy they all use, attack to kill, if he survives attack when no one is looking and we will never be known"
"Smart"
"I need to go there as well, I don't trust that cousin" he emptied his wine and stood up.
"Stick to your cola, just be a good boy"
"vous petit bat!" you little brat!
Alistair smirked and walked out.

************
Raphael sat in the hotel room looking gloomy and bored. He was annoyed with this so called Alexander. He spoke like an idiot and all he cared about was money. Just moments ago the man had driven him nuts that he almost lost his cool.
...... He walked into the hotel and found the man enjoying a plateful of chicken wings and wine. He grinned at him.
"Here comes Raphael, son of the great Arnaud Eduard. How was your day"
"As good as it was able to be or not. We should discuss business" he said.
"Come on don't be too serious son, have something to eat"
"Am not your son Alexander. So let's discuss business already" he responded a little pissed. He was fine being anyone's son but not Alexander.
"Alright, and a meal?"
"I ate with family"
"Family" he laughed "you still call it family with Jade gone? How do you consider that a family without your mother there?"
"How? That is a good question. How do I consider it family without mother there? I should disown them right?"
"Exactly!" Alex agreed.
"You are not okay Alex, my family matters don't concern you at all. So you are the head of finance in our company, we have to figure out what happened. The sales are declining and we are almost going bankrupt what happened?"
"We spent a lot on the project by the little guy Dawid Baudin. And the rest we have spent it on regulating the curves between purchases and sales. But I don't know if that much should have been spent."
"How much was in the treasury at the beginning of the year?"
"Minus all the other money, the one we had for the purpose of sales and purchases was 1355 billion dollars "
"Then how much solid we sacrifice for the guy since quarter of the project is ours?"
"130billion dollars"
"And the sales and purchases for the past six months?"
"1000 billion dollars "
"So where is the 25 billion dollars disappear to?"
The man paused and looked at Raphael "am trying to find out as well. You see this has troubled me the most. I have done my maths more than that 25 billion times so we can see where the money went to but I really can't. I have had sleepless nights, you see the dark circles, I can't sleep a wink. Let alone eat" he kept rumbling useless words that had no relationship with the issue at hand.
Sleepless nights.... Dark circles, barely eating? Who was this idiot fooling? He looked even healthier than the healthiest person on earth.
You will chew your own tail little man, just wait
"Alright then, I would propose you try finding out what really happened, we can't loose funds like this. If our company gets defeated in the next parade show. You will pay for it Alexander so be careful"
The man wiped his mouth and hands and emptied his wine.
"Don't worry I have worked with a lot of people. Your father himself has a lot of faith in me." Alex smiled warmly at the young CEO "I will not fail you or your father"
"étudier le sourire" study the smile
Clarabelle's words rung in Raphael's ears.
Not genuine at all, a secretive and contemptuous smile.
Raphael smiled back as they both stood up "I trust you Alex, I know you will never let the ANODEX ENTERPRISES LTD down"
Alex nodded and tapped Raphael's shoulder "I will be off now. I will be back with an explanation so don't trouble yourself"
"Sure"
Alex walked out of the room, he shut the door, paused before walking out of the hotel.
Raphael on the other hand was burning with rage and anger. How can a whole 25 billion dollars disappear into thin air how does that make sense. He grabbed the wine glass Alex was using and smashed it into the wall. That old wagon wheel! He is too proud and full of himself. 25 billion dollars!! Not even million or thousand... He must be insane if he thought he was getting off with it ...
He sat there for a long time and thinking wasn't helping him at all. He was going to loose his mind. Just then his phone rang. He stared at the screen then picked it
"Hey you...Mr. CEO are you done chatting with those grey haired men?"
"Alonzo... Will ever grow up?"
"Not when am the last born, come on best friend. You need to cool your mind. Mr. CEO" the guy laughed
"I don't know how we even became friends. You are crazy!"
"Don't worry, just keep me at check. Come over you need to chill"
"Where are you?"
"In my house at the west"
"Wait for me!"
Then he hanged up. He rushed out of the hotel where Steven was waiting.
"Hey, Steven, take a cab home. Use my credit card. We are done for the night. See you tomorrow at eight "
"Yes sir"
Raphael jumped into his car and was off.