Not Gone, But Forgotten

For most folks, Monday means the start of the dreaded work week. At Hunter's agency, Monday was seen as an opportunity to do more. Now, some folks may still see it as a drag to have to come to work but their boss was something different. He would greet his front desk receptionist, pick up mail, bring them coffee, and continue on. As he ran into the few people in the hallway he would greet them pleasantly and ask a personal question.

"How're the kids?"

"Did you have any more adventures this weekend?"

"How's the home remodel?"

There weren't many people employed in this building but it still kept pretty lively. Hunter took his seat at his desk turning on his PC for the day. Hanson was not far behind with a mug of hot coffee. "Thank you, Hanson. Anything on the agenda for today?"

"No, sir. I've got some leads on a few good jobs but we are still waiting on information."

"Astute as always. Let me know what you hear."

Hanson left with a nod heading to his office down the hallway. Adam stopped by really quickly with a stack of papers, "Hunter, do you want me to do something with these timesheets?"

"Yea, they should go to payroll. I thought we had someone to do that."

"I don't mind taking them. I've got the time plus I think she's cute."

"Well, she's a Cloaker so be careful."

Adam just stood there for a second evaluating his options. He still needed to drop them off so why not go for it. The office was by no means a well-oiled machine but it seems like it is on the surface. The day went on with Hanson dropping off some unfinished leads on Hunter's desk to give him an update. "Hanson, you don't need to make a special trip every time."

"I feel it's imperative to keep you up to date as we find out more. We move at a moment's notice."

He had a point. They work on speed and accuracy. Being able to get to where they need to with accurate info is what they do. But as the week went on, they seemed off. Letters weren't getting sent out on time, and documents weren't being filed. Things started piling up to where by Friday Hunter had to call a quick all-hands to have volunteers help with the building stacks. As nice as digital was, they still needed paper for some of the more official documents.

It became a slog but by the end of the day, Hunter and Hanson were able to call it a weekend. "Hanson, we should really find someone who can do this. It would be worth it to take the hit."

"I agree wholeheartedly, sir."

Hunter leaned back with a sigh, "I could have sworn that we had someone for this. Or was it always this way?" Hanson couldn't give an answer. "I can get a listing together and we can find a suitable candidate."

"Please do. Make it the base starting pay and typical raises for longevity."

"Yes, sir."

Hunter returned to his desk reaching for a simple bottle he had hidden away. In a tumbler glass with ice, he doused the cubes with the brown liquor. He took a sniff enjoying the stinging aroma. As he went to take his first sip he paused himself. He looked over the rim at the partially open door almost as though he was expecting someone to come in. With no one there, he shrugged it off and enjoyed his drink for a short while to celebrate the completion of another week.

With everyone released, he was able to go home himself. He picked up his car from the garage to head home. He passed the bridge he crossed every day taking his time. He cruised along until he came to a stop. He put it in park and leaned back leaving the engine running. He looked forward until he looked around. He parked in front of an apartment complex. He stopped and thought to himself "Why am I here?" He pulled out looking back at the "For Rent" sign out front.