Chapter 13

Itsuka was confused when she saw Midoriya Izuku in the commentator booth instead of joining them all in the field as a competitor.

She didn't know what to think of the green-haired boy from class 1-A. At one point, she was wary of the prospect of dangers he silently promised, while at another she knew he must be a good guy, based on his classmates' reaction towards him. Pretty protective too, especially that brash-looking blonde, watching him move like a hawk. She heard he was the kid who got injured after the USJ disaster. Was that the reason why he was in the commentator booth right now then? How terrible his injuries were that the Recovery Girl could not heal him completely that he had to sit this competition out?

Midnight-sensei cracked her whip to silence the clamoring spectator, causing her attention to settle back on their R-rated teacher. She introduced herself as the referee of today's tournament. Along with Present Mic, Eraserhead, and Midoriya Izuku as their commentator. Before the game started, however, she asked them all to give a big round of applause. Bakugo Katsuki, the students who got first in the entrance exam, will give them an opening speech that'll hopefully hype them all. The brash boy Itsuka saw as Izuku's appointed self-bodyguard stepped up to the stage, his red orbs blared. The sight alone felt like he was seeing them right through their souls as he spoke with a flat tone.

"My friend almost died"

Okay. Way to shut up the audience there.

Everyone was silent when Katsuki told them about their experience at the USJ. Being surrounded by people twice your size. That they won't give them any slack just because of their young age and inexperience. How even a skilled underground hero such as Eraserhead didn't escape the fight unscathed. How even the strongest students of class 1-A were reduced to nothing but a reporter from the side.

Izuku then interjected that he didn't want to join anyway and to not try to pin the villain's action for his decision. Katsuki ignored him.

"A strong Quirk means nothing if you don't have a head to use it efficiently. Rather than using the power straight on, be creative. Go for the ingenuity. Just because no flashy power was used, doesn't mean they're useless," he took a deep breath and glared at every hero available. The glint inside was full of determination, "so if you Pro Heroes are here to search for a flashy Quirk just for the sake of it, then get the fuck out of here. I can't say anything about other people down there, but I'm not here to accompany you in playing around with the media's every fucking whim. I'm here..."

"To be a hero."

And he stopped the speech there.

That was...wow.

Itsuka was speechless.

She knew the danger of being a hero, of course. The news of Heroes or Villains' death is there, no matter how the world tries to soften the blow. Yet, deep inside herself, she believed she had time to grow up. To get stronger and psyche herself up so she'll be ready when she has to bear the title of Hero. But here Katsuki was. Crushing that notion into nothing by not censoring any of the battles they, unfortunately, had to fight.

If only he spoke that speech with a proud face, she'd dismiss it as him boasting himself up the pedestal. That this brash-looking teenager was just the type of person who craved action. Who loved to showcase his power in confidence while looking down on others.

Instead, he almost looked defeated.

Katsuki actually cares, his uncouth words aside.

Itsuka watched as the honorary student had a quick wit with Izuku for the second time, teasing him for admitting to the whole world that they were definitely friends, Present Mic's laugh could be heard in the background. The audience was whispering, and some of the heroes actually looked embarrassed. Like Katsuki's speech cut them deep. And she could see why, even related to it a little bit. Maybe the sudden talk of class 1-A Wonder, where her friends complained over the fact that people seemed to forget there was another hero course in UA school, had clouded her perception. She was swept along the wave without her noticing. It made Kendo Itsuka forget.

The true definition of a Hero.