Chapter 24

Izuku knew he was projecting.

He knew it, but he couldn't help it.

He saw an image of a cheery boy wearing a fur hoodie in Bakugo Katsuki. Boisterous, too sure in his own skill, someone needed to smack him down a peg so he wouldn't get himself killed due to his overconfidence. Not to mention, both of them love dogs too.

He saw an image of his own mother in Midoriya Inko. Of course, the plump woman is also his mother in this universe, but no. he wasn't talking about that. He was talking about her personality. Or rather, the hidden personality within her. Inko may be nice and shy, a heartwarming person, and a wonderful mother. But when others tried to hurt her precious people, she lashed out. Her mouth started spewing hurtful words and she wouldn't hesitate to bring the argument to the side of the law if need be; a perk of being a social lawyer. Izuku's skill in threatening people didn't just come from his previous life, see. It also thanks to her and her protective streak.

He saw an image of his own father too in Midoriya Hisashi, even if he never met the man directly except for the face cam. The man was too cheerful to be the reincarnation of a war general. However, that intellect, that skill in negotiating. How there was this glint in his eyes whenever everything he wanted was going according to plan. Izuku loves playing online shogi or chess with him in their free time. It is almost like the good, old days.

He saw an image of his...teacher in Tsukauchi Naomasa. Their sense of justice, and worry for other people's safety to the point they lose their sleep over it. After the first few of Izuku's night walks, Naomasa was readily happy to check on him. Bringing some dessert to snack on or indulging Izuku in his need to chew gum (he can't smoke in his current form. His mother would have an aneurysm). The police officer was his second father, just like how his old teacher used to be.

He saw an image of their vice-leader in Aizawa Shota. It was such a jarring thing to see when Izuku first met him. After he knew he didn't have his usual trick in this universe and could only depend on the Killing Intent technique to survive (because Killing Intent is not a unique thing, apparently. It is almost like 'Determination'. Everyone has it. You just have to cultivate it), his nightly walk turned into a nightly patrol. And that particular day, was where his nightmare felt too real for his taste, that he immediately went to see the first trouble he encountered. To vent his emotions.

Shota then appeared from the sky. Subduing the two robbers efficiently, and effectively.

And Izuku. Izuku was having a brief flashback. Of the same person wearing the same dark clothing along with a half-face mask. Hiding their true power beneath a well-crafted persona—Shota, with his tired, always-prime-to-fall-asleep mask. And his previous vice-leader, with his cheerful and perverted mask—yet ready to unleash the dirty trick they prepared as long as the civilians were safe. The greenette was stunned. He almost thought that he was back in his old world (it reminded him of when the man taught Izuku how to be a good Agent. That move, that intensity, that sneakiness. His second teacher may not be the leader of the Hidden Organization anymore, but the skill will never, ever be dull).

Then he blinked. And that vision was gone.

Leaving another heartache that will always fester like a bleeding wound. 

After that slight 'ride to the past', Izuku's 'journey to finding the similarity' continued.

He saw an image of an old leader with a tobacco addiction in Nezu. Both of them were crafty, wise, and a good person with a tragic backstory. Oh, he could see, of course. Even without the need to hack the official file in the government record. He knew Nezu was a victim of torture. That flash of dread he saw in those beady, black eyes was a clear indication.