bluff

They make it most of the rest of the day without bloodshed

Their band slept until midday and, finally at least partially rested, set out for the Forest in the afternoon. It is farther away than it seems, a great wall of verdancy that changes the texture of the horizon. They all look at least a little less bleary eyed and their trek in the river seems to have bought them enough time and space; there are no hounds baying at them as they spend the rest of the afternoon trekking across the last rise of shrubland before the Forest dominates the landscape.

It's their stop for a late dinner of wild ra'tib caught by the Gunner that is the final tipping point. After their conversation last night, the Recruit feels like he is now seeing these transitory moments in every small action.

It's the Mechanic, of course, that instigates. Apparently he has had enough amiability for one day because once he's finished tearing the sinewy meat off his portion of ra'tib, he turns to the Double and it is almost like storm clouds build in front of the Recruit's eyes.

"You've held on to your secrets for long enough," he says, no preamble, no flirting with her danger. The Double regards him coolly, her face a mask of impassivity. "Enough evasions. Tell us what was so important about our mission."

The Gunner watches with feline eyes, wanting to know and waiting for the Double's response.

"You care so awfully much, without the subtlety of a Conglomerate agent, and yet I still do not trust you," the Double says with a musing kind of sardonic humor in her tone. "Was the General the only spy, or are you a Conglomerate lackey as well?"

The Mechanic seems taken aback by her words, but the Recruit cannot tell if it is because she accused him of being a spy or because she identified Sav'ro as a Conglomerate agent. "Oh yes," the Double says to him, "We've known he was part of the Conglomerate infiltration network of spies for over a year. He was put on this mission specifically for that reason. But you? You, we weren't sure, with all your brashness and So'uan nationalism. You seemed too obvious."

The Mechanic snaps then, pouncing forward without drawing a weapon. He manages to get a hold that pins her arm to her spine before the Recruit can react.

The Double's smirk is a snarling, wicked, sardonic thing as she breaks the Mechanic's hold, her elbow flashing up to catch him across the cheek.

He reels back and she wastes no time. The Recruit takes a step towards them as if to intervene but the Gunner puts a restraining hand on his chest. "Let them vent their anger," she whispers to the Recruit. He looks up at the Gunner's serious grey eyes and sees a flicker of satisfaction there as the Double rips once and then twice into the Mechanic's solar plexus.

He knew the Double was a strong woman, but he's never thought of her as vicious until this moment. There is a savage sort of enjoyment on her face as she steadily pushes the Mechanic back step by step. A body double of the Senator would have to have been trained in combat within an inch of her life and that training is on display now.