Bride of Dracula

My eyes slowly open and squint as blurry shapes hover around me. After blinking several times, my surroundings start to come into shape.

My room is dimly lit and it looks like it's already sunset. I look at my bedside digital clock and its 17:29. I yawn as I sit up stretching. For a few seconds I just sit there looking out my window.

It seems like the wind has calm down. I yawn again as I sink my bare feet into my fluffy carpet standing up. I move to my desktop and I double tap my phone's screen. It turns on and two percent left before its full.

I scratch my head as my gaze lingers on the desk until something familiar catches my eye. My annoyance spirals as I roughly grab the card and hurry out of the room. The hallway is dimly lit, I make my way downstairs and straight into the kitchen where a couple of laughter emits.

“I thought I told to get rid of this" I say annoyance evident in my tone.

The room goes silent and Beth just eyes the letter. “Good evening to you too" mom breaks the silence in the room as she dishes out dinner.

“I did" Beth speaks up.

“But it was in my room…" I say in annoyance.

“It was me" mom cuts in, "I saw it and I thought you hadn't seen it. What is it?“

"Its some Halloween party invitation card" Beth says leaning against the wall behind her.

"Thats amazing, so I guess tomorrow you don't need me sulking around you like a lost sheep then” mom says smiling at me.

I fall silent as they start talking about something I don't bother paying attention to. "Am not going” I shrug.

"This is the last stretch Eve, its not like you are going tricker treating or stuff. You should go, its a party” she says with such energy trying to reason with me. “What happened to you, you loved Halloween? This was your favorite time of the year” she says finishing up with dinner.

I move into the kitchen and seat besides Bethany. “I grew up, there's nothing fun about costumes and candy.“ I shrug as I reach for my plate and pull it towards me.

"Well I think the venue is awesome, if I didn't have to go around the neighborhood tricker treating I would definitely use your invitation" Beth says with so much enthusiasm.

"Even if I wanted to go its too late to get a costume” I say feeling proud at the point.

“I have one" Beth speaks up causing mom and I to look at her.

“I don't wear the same size as you" I say in a duh tone.

“Believe me, its the right fit" she say seriously.

“You...." I trail off when she jolts to her feet and rushes out of the room.

I look at mom and she just shrugs lowering her gaze to her plate. I shake my head and begin eating.

“Here" Beth's voice draws my attention to the door and my eyes widen as I glance at the piece of clothing in her hand.

“Whats that?" I ask in surprise, my mouth half open.

"Dracula's Bride” she says looking at the red dress with a satisfied smile.

"Where did you get that?" mom asks pushing out of the chair and walks over to Beth.

“I ordered it online" she replies.

“This is too big for you, I hope you didn't use my credit card” mom says feeling the fabric in her fingers.

"I just ordered it and all of a sudden I ended up with a costume twice my size. And don't worry I used my savings” she shrugs.

"So you are gonna give it to her?“ mom asks.

"No way, she has to pay. I need a costume ASAP. My size that is” she says seriously and I get an idea.

"No way am paying for that” I say proudly and I look at mom, who is looking at the dress deep in thought. I wonder what she's thinking so intently about.

“I will take it" mom says and I gasp as Beth grins.

“What?" my eyes widen.

“Yes" Beth jumps.

“I can't…I will be busy!" I whine trying my luck for the last time.

"Its Halloween Evie, believe me, you need this” she says and I give up.

I guess am going to a Halloween ball then.

*~*

I stand before the body length mirror looking at myself. I tilt my head as my eyes run over my body.

Dressed as the Bride of Dracula, I can't help but be captivated by my own reflection. My bloodred gown clings to my curves, accentuating my figure in all the right ways.

The low-cut neckline reveals a hint of cleavage, adding an element of allure to the ensemble. As my blond hair cascades down my shoulders in loose waves, it adds a touch of elegance to the overall look.

Completing the ensemble are my killer heels, adorned with intricate details, and the sparkling jewelry that adorns my neck and wrists. Despite my initial annoyance at having to attend the Halloween ball, I can't deny that I look undeniably good.

It's as if the character has transformed me and has set free a seductress ready to revel in the night's festivities with newfound confidence.

The room is silent as I take time to look at myself. Suddenly someone gasps behind me and I turn to face Betha.

“Holy moly" her jaw is wide open as her eyes blink nonstop.

“Did you give her the...“ mom approachs my room saying something but she falls silent. Her expression similar to the one mom has.

I flap my arms once and give them a questioning look. “mask" mom finishes her sentence.

"Go on, say it. I look….” Both mom and Beth cut me off.

"like a true queen” they say in unison. I laugh as I turn to look back at the mirror. "Am ready” I say facing the mirror and I turn to glance at mom and Beth.

Beth walks over to me and hands me a masquerade mask. “Have fun"