Part 6

Magnus sighed as soon as he came into the loft. Lunch with Izzy went much better than he expected. He was happy to finally have Izzy back in his life, and he was glad he gave Izzy all the time she needed. Magnus, for a second, never blamed Izzy for Alec's death. He knew what happened to Alec and he also knew that whether it was Izzy, Clary, Jace, Simon or a Shadowhunter Alec didn't even know, Alec still would have tried his best to prevent that person from getting hurt. That's the kind of person Magnus's husband was, and that is exactly why Magnus fell in love with Alexander.

The majority of the lunch went smoothly, and it was almost as if they were back to two decades ago, but of course, they had some heavy-hearted discussions. About Alec's death, how Magnus was living by himself now both Max and Rafe moved in with their partners, how Magnus never moved on from Alec, how Izzy missed her big brother and so on. Magnus knew they needed to have those discussions, and if not, they would have regretted till the end of time, but still, that did not prevent Magnus from getting extremely exhausted.

Magnus poured himself a camomile tea and decided he needed something to anchor himself, so he walked towards the second walk-in closet he had in the loft. Magnus had two walk-in closets and one for himself and one for Alec's items. Whenever Magnus needed an escape from real life, he would go to the closet, put one of his and Alec's favourite songs on the recorder, and go through Alec's items one by one. Choice of this afternoon was can't help falling in love by Elvis Presley.

Wise men say

Only fools rush in

But I can't help

Falling in love with you.

Magnus smiled to himself as he remembered how he desperately tried to get Alec to listen to songs from 70s, 80s and it only met with a very confused Alec. So, Magnus decided to push a little bit further and see if Alec would like the 60s vibe and voila. Yes, turn out Alec was an old soul trapped in a young man's body.

Shall I stay?

Would it be a sin

If I can't help

Falling in love with you?

Magnus mouthed the words as he went through Alec's clothes one by one. Of course, Alec's collection was much smaller compared to Magnus's magnificent cloth collection, but Magnus felt immense relief in Alec's clothes. Magnus took one of Alec's shirts out from the collection and hugged it tightly as he took a deep breath. Even after two decades, Alec's clothes smelled like him, thanks to one of Magnus's preservation spells.

Like a river flows

Surely to the sea

Darling, so it goes

Some things are meant to be.

As Magnus held Alec's shirt tightly to his chest, he could not help but feel a tight knot in his throat. Even after all those years, it was difficult for Magnus to go through the beautiful memories of Alec without shedding a tear or two.

Take my hand

Take my whole life too

For I can't help

Falling in love with you.

"I miss you, Angel." Magnus buried his face on Alec's shirt.

"I miss you so much, my love." Magnus sighed deeply to try and stop himself from shedding any tears, but it was too late. Magnus sat on the only chair in the closet and let all the emotions he had been holding in, just flow freely.