Chapter 4

Stephen leaned against the tunnel wall near his lab. What advantages did he have over the Surface Creatures that would guarantee his safety the following day? Speed and strength?

The Indigenes fared better on intellect, but the Surface Creatures understood cunning and deception in a way that put him at a disadvantage. He pushed off from the wall and paced the length of the tunnel. What else could he use—his vision?

An Indigene's vision worked best in low levels of light; it allowed them to make sense of the dark. It was why they preferred to surface at night; the tactic they'd used early on to learn more about the Surface Creatures.

Relax, said Anton. It's going to be fine.

You wouldn't say that if it was you going.

Anton smiled and leaned against the entrance to the lab. Yes, I would. I have faith in my inventions.

Stephen glanced at his easygoing friend and pushed down his jealousy. Witnessing his parents' death had only made Stephen more unsettled and anxious about everything. But this trip tomorrow was too important to mess up over his insecurities.

Thinking about the Surface Creatures made him want to tear the silicone skin from his face. His last trip to the surface to study them had come with a cheap disguise and no silicone skin to hide their real identities.

On the back of Central Council orders to search for cooperative individuals to question, his group of three had approached the city border for New London. Stephen had been the first to notice the group of seven boys, stood outside a replication terminal building. Even from a short distance away, he could smell alcohol in the air.

The atmosphere changed as whispers replaced the loud chatter. The other two Indigenes moved in on their location while a skittish Stephen hung back. What did he want to say? Your parents are murderers and you will grow up to be one, too. Not exactly the best way to get them to talk.

To his relief, one of the other Indigenes spoke first. The mood was light at first, until the questions to the boys became more personal. Stephen's fine tuned hearing allowed him to pick up the boys' utterances.

'Who the fuck are these losers?'

'I know. I'm losing me buzz.'

'I'm bored.'

'C'mon, let's show these clowns what dirt tastes like.'

'Yeah!'

'I wanna go home.'

'Stay where you are, Jason. Everybody's stayin' put.'

'D'ya think they're some kind o' military?'

'Dunno. They're not wearing uniforms.'

'Don't wanna to get into no trouble.'

'Don't be an idiot, Jason. Do as I say.'

'Seven against three. Easy.'

The boys came at them, arms flailing and legs kicking, fuelled by a mixture of alcohol and stupidity. Keen to avoid a confrontation, Stephen ran from the scene. The other Indigenes had the good sense to follow. They stopped a short distance away and listened.

'Where'd they go?'

'What the fuck?'

'It's like them Shadow People I keep hearing 'bout.'

'Don't be an idiot. That's just legend. A story to scare the little kiddies so they don't fall 'sleep.'

'No, I heard them people's real. They hunt late at night and they eat kids and adults if they sleep. Sometimes they catch them out here.'