Chapter 51

Anton woke to the sound of buzzing electricity. He sat up and shook his head to clear the persistent noise from his ears. The lump on the back of his head was fresh. He remembered them jabbing his arm with something just before he passed out. He must have hit his head on the floor, which was probably how he got the lump.

He crawled forward and got to his feet. His suit was gone. A pair of loose-legged trousers now covered his lower half.

An open gap signalled the route out of the room, but something nipped at his skin. The closer he got to the exit the harder it was to move. By the time he reached the opening it felt as though he were treading water. His fingers barely grazed the exit before the electrical current rooted him to the spot.

Charles came into view outside the opening. He whistled a tune.

'Let me out of here.' Anton's words came thick and slow, just like his movements. His breaths turned painful. His device! He rolled his tongue over the back of his throat, relieved to find it still in place.

'I'd like to, dear boy, but you're far too valuable to me.'

Anton inched backwards until he had regained mobility. His hands broke free from the electrical binds and he checked for the rest of his filtration device. When he found it, he calmed his breathing down and the device began to work again.

'You've seen what I can do,' said Anton. 'Yet you want to keep someone as dangerous as me around? That makes no sense.'

The old human laughed, hard. 'I'm quite sure I'm safe. I just saw how effective you were when you tried to breach this room.' He swirled one finger in the air. 'That low buzzing noise is an irritation, even to my ordinary ears.' He hid his hands behind his back and a strange smile settled into place. 'You don't understand why you're here yet. The others don't, either.'

Anton slowed his breathing down more until the fog in his mind lifted and he could think a little clearer. They had drugged him. He could feel his body attacking the new substance; it would only be a matter of time before his immune system counteracted its effects. 'My friends, they're coming for me,' he said.

Charles dropped his friendly disposition and his shoulders tensed. 'Who is coming for you? Are there more of you on the way?'

Anton considered telling his captor about Stephen, to buy himself time. But that would be suicide for both of them.

'Yes, that's what I thought,' said Charles, visibly relaxing. 'You've come alone. Or maybe you haven't. It doesn't matter. I only need one of you, anyway.'

Anton slid down to the floor and wrapped his arms around his knees. His bare skin pressed against the cool rock. It felt familiar and comfortable, like District Three. He concentrated on his captor's thoughts, but the old human appeared able to block Anton's abilities. Or maybe it was the electricity, or the drugs. He shook his head to clear it.

Would Stephen send for help? Would he live out his days as a prisoner? Not if he had anything to do with it. But how could he fight against both the drugs and the electricity?

A part of him resigned to his capture. 'So, what do you need me for, anyway?'

Charles' eyes brightened for a moment, but then he turned and walked away. Anton heard a door open.

'To help keep me alive.' His voice echoed in the open space some distance away.

Keep me alive? The three words tumbled about in Anton's mind as the door shut. The faint thread of a thought danced before him, and he tugged on it

The old human needed Anton for something. That meant he had a chance.