1|Dead Dreams at 23

I was in a taxi to my future sister-in-law's place, listening to my cassette to pass the ride. Tchaikovsky's symphonies brought radiance to any place I went. In other words, it helped me romanticize the simplest things in life.

"We're here, miss." I heard the cab driver call me.

I look out to see the front of Barbara Kean's apartment studio. It was such a sight. She was, after all, the daughter of a very wealthy and respectable family. She even owned a very profitable art gallery.

I stood outside the cab as the driver took my suitcases from his trunk.

"Angie!" I turn to see Barbara run at me and embrace me.

"Barbie!" I hugged her back. "You didn't have to come down here. I was about to make my way up."

"I saw you from the window and had to come down here. It's been so long." She squeezed me hard.

I laugh, "It's only been half a year."

"That's far too long." She turns to the cab driver, "Hey, buddy, could you be a dear and take her stuff upstairs? I'll make sure you hefty tip." She winks.

"Yes, ma'am." He nods and grabs my suitcases once again.

"Oh, no, Barbara, you don't have to do that." I shake my head. "I can carry my stuff."

"Nonsense, it's the least I could do." She grabs my arm and leads me inside. "Besides, you have to take it easy, remember?"

"How could I not? It's all everyone tells me." I roll my eyes.

"Because you don't want to listen." She shakes her head at me.

We arrive at her apartment, and it's just as luxurious inside.

"I can't believe my brother gets to stay in a place like this for the rest of his life." I smile as I revere the place.

"You can stay as long as you need, Angie. You know I love having you here."

"Here you go, ma'am." The cabbie says as he places my things inside.

"Thank you. How much was it again?" I say, looking through my purse.

"Oh, it's okay. I got it." Barbara says, already putting money in the man's hands.

"Have a good day, ma'am." He nodded before leaving.

"You didn't have to do that. I have cab fair." I shake my head.

"Calm down. It was nothing. Chump change." She shrugged.

"You're too kind to me." I smile.

"I try my best. Now, let me show you to your room. You must be tired from the plane ride." She grabs one of my suitcases and leads me to a bedroom.

It was a conventionally decorated guest room but looked expensive.

"I'll let Jim bring the other suitcases. You sure it's all of it, though?"

"I should have a few more things arriving for me soon." I nod as I sit on the bed.

She leans against the door, "Okay, well, I'll leave you to rest. You want me to call Jim and tell him you're here?"

"Oh, no. Don't bother him while he's at work." I wave my hand.

"Fine. But I'm telling him you told me not to." She smiles at me before leaving.

I let out a sigh as I was left alone in the room. I go to the other side of the room and open a window.
I lean against the frame as I light up and smoke a cigarette.