7

Their chants, pleas, and prayers were denied as neither of their names were chosen. Instead, the board read, Shikamaru Nara VS Kin Tsuchi.

Lee groaned in disappointment while Naruto let out a short growl as he crossed his arms and turned his back on the match.

Shikamaru wasn't too happy about this as he drawled out, "Guess it's me." His hands in his pockets as he waited for his opponent to come down to the ground floor and face him.

Meanwhile, his team was cheering him on.

"Shikamaru, come on. You can do it. You can win this, no problem." Ino encouraged.

"OK, OK." Shikamaru gruffly replied.

"All you have to do is tell yourself, I cannot lose. Right?" Ino encouraged him further.

Beside her, Choji wasn't quite pleased with Ino's new attitude. 'Man, when did she get so darn enthusiastic?' He complained in his mind.

Kin left the balcony to go and fight her match.

Ino meanwhile continued her cheers. "Yeah, Ok. Here we go, Shikamaru. Make that little girl cry."

"Oh man, this is such a drag. I mean, give me a break. I gotta fight a girl?" Shikamaru complained as he ignored Ino, his hands still in his pockets.

"Yeah, you just keep thinking that way, little man." Kin replied angerly

"Ready?" The proctor called out.

'Oh, well.' Shikamaru

"Six match." Hayate announced.

'Nothing I can do.' Shikamaru thought.

Both prepared themselves as Hayate addressed them.

"Shikamaru and Kin. Begin."

Shikamaru didn't waste a moment as his hands flew to form the ninja hand sign of the rat. The only hand sign required for his clans signature technique, the Shadow Possession jutsu.

It's all I've got." He muttered.

No matter what try you will lose." Kin

Ninja art, Shadow Possession Jutsu." Shikamaru said as he activated his jutsu, his shadow stretching towards Kin from his body, attached only by his feet.

"Is that all you know? If that's the only trick you've got, this is going to be easier than I thought." Kin informed him as she jumped away from the approaching shadow.

Shikamaru tensed as he heard the sound of bells. Kin having thrown two senbon with bells attached as she jumped away. Ducking, the belled needles went over his head as they imbedded themselves into the wall behind him.

Looking over his shoulder, Shikamaru quickly thought of the purpose of these objects and what strategy the sound Kunoichi had in mind. "Bells? Oh, please. Not that old trick." Shikamaru said with a chuckle and a smirk.

"Let me guess. Next, you'll throw senbon with bells and senbon without bells at the same time. I'll react to the bells and while I'm focused on dodging them, I won't notice the silent needles coming at me. Am I right? Good luck." He told her, growing confident in his analysis.

You sure talk a lot, don't you?" Kin observed as she ran towards him and threw more sebon at him.

Shikamaru's smile remained as he ducked to his left and then down. "Now I know to be careful to dodge all the senbon, not just the ones with bells."

What Shikamaru didn't calculate or expect was the sound of bells ringing even though he hadn't seen Kin throw any.

Shocked, Shikamaru whirled around. 'What? Where?' He thought, demanding an answer.