With Poms Poms We Hail (1)

Earth 1711.

Brooklyn, New York.

Scarlett Janiyah Davis.

I'm going to be late for cheer practice.

Again.

These villains have a knack for waiting until the final school bell rings before causing mayhem.

If I'm keeping it real, I'd rather kick villain ass during a geometry lesson than have to miss or arrive late to another practice.

The mutant I'm in combat with definitely possesses considerable physical strength, but as they say, raw power can only take you so far without the intelligence to back it up.

Fortunately, this mutant seems to be primarily brawn and deteriorating flesh.

To make matters worse, he stinks and, upon closer inspection, strangely resembles a zombie.

Still, he's managed to slam me into the concrete ground for the third time, and I'm currently bracing for a limping entrance at cheer practice—assuming I make it there in one piece.

I am the cheer captain for crying out loud!

This isn't setting a good example for the other girls, and I'm well aware that I've become a point of discussion among my teammates.

I've overheard side conversations about me "taking advantage" of being captain, "doing whatever I want," and not "showing enough commitment to cheer."

What they don't know is that I'm the one who prevented the cafeteria building from collapsing a few days ago because of that lizard guy I was fighting.

He was wrecking everything on purpose, and our school was almost flipped upside down like a pancake.

Dammit.

I almost forgot to introduce myself because I was too busy ranting.

Honestly... there's not really much to discuss.

I don't think I'm that great of a superhero. 

I'm actually kind of shitty at my job.

Damn. I think I broke my hip bone just now—this mutant is seriously strong.

Anyways, this isn't your typical Spider-Man story, so things will be somewhat different.

My name is Scarlett Davis.

I am the daughter of Lenny and Patricia Davis.

My Daddy runs a bodega and Momma is a school counselor.

I'm known as "Cheer Spider", and I've been Spider-Woman for almost a year now.

I got bitten during a winter basketball game while cheering.

I still didn't hesitate to show up for practice the next day, even though three girls got stuck to me during our pyramid stunt.

That wasn't pretty.

But, I embraced my powers quickly.

And I'll be honest with you, it was fun at first.

Taking a swing through the city at night, especially when it was snowing or raining, was a form of therapy for me. I never intended to become a superhero; my plan was to move forward with my life and continue being myself, but this time with spider powers. Everything changed for me after I met another individual with spider-like abilities, and in fact, it was more than just one person.