Running From The Daylight (2)

"...Ladies and gentlemen, we interrupt your regular programming to bring you a breaking news update.

Channel 14 is here to report that Brooklyn is in a state of emergency, as individuals, suspected to be classified as "mutants", are wreaking havoc and assaulting the citizens of New York. Numerous people have been injured, with current statistics indicating 245 confirmed injuries and over 50 fatalities.

The Brooklyn NYPD, along with the S.W.A.T department, is making every effort to neutralize these infected individuals. According to reports, the sole cause identified in connection with this orchestrated attack is Windy Malware, a university student majoring in biological engineering at HMU, also known as Hudson Metropolitan University.

The motive behind Windy Malware's decision to instigate this act of terror remains unknown.

Stay tuned for further updates as Channel 14 continues to gather more information..."

".... According to witnesses, certain physical attributes of Cheer Spider became visible in the midst of the attack.

Sources suggest that the anonymous hero might be a young black female with dark brown eyes.

No additional information has surfaced or been disclosed..."

"...We start with a significant update.

It is with a heavy heart that we report the fall of New York's hero, Cheer Spider.

Tonight's battle has brought nothing but tragedy upon us. Channel 14 extends our condolences to the anonymous superhero, who is reportedly in EMT custody with critical injuries.

Our latest figures are in, and the numbers have sadly increased. We now have 275 confirmed injuries and 52 confirmed fatalities.

Arrests are being postponed as Windy Malware has met her unexpected demise at the hands of our superhero, Cheer Spider.

As for the little girl..."

It was between her or my parents.

My emotions had taken full control by then.

It hit me that Windy wasn't bluffing when she said she knew more about me than I did about her. She'd been stalking me for a long time, knowing what I looked like, where I attended school, where I lived, who my parents were, and even where Daddy worked.

She had admitted all of this herself, wearing a proud grin.

She never explained why, and I didn't bother asking because, to be honest, I couldn't care less about her reasons.

This stranger had a frightening amount of knowledge about me.

When I confronted her, my threats were no longer efforts to make her stop; they had become thinly veiled promises. The lenses of my spider mask had disintegrated because of the fire, exposing a wide opening that revealed eyes burdened with fatigue, anger and depression.

"Your old man makes some of the best empanadas I've ever had," was the stray comment that shattered the last bit of sanity I had left.

At that moment, all I could think was, "She knows too much."

Any villain who uncovers my identity—who knows who I am and where I live, doesn't deserve to keep that information and live.