1|5

1|5

Since becoming king, Kwento had the Fates and his memories to help teach him how to run the domain, and how to control the gods. It was hard but he found himself persevering. Truly, heavy was the head that wore the crown and he could not help but remember when he was handed the crown...

A bright day in the domain where citizens were either mourning the death of their former king or dreading the coming of the new king and the Fate had announced in a big gathering in the domain, that the new leader would be selected by the sword. Funny it was that a lot of people had interpreted that wrongly, going from one training center to the next and soaring for the rest of the day without a proper rest only to arrive at the occasion of the next day, to be told that they only require each gods and goddesses to try raising the sword halfq buried in a stone and the one who does succeed, was their new leader.

The occasion was in the main hall of the domain which had been decorated by Clara. You could see the flowers, the linens folded into arcs and curves and then, there was the multitude of people.

"We're all gathered here today to select our leader," the Fate had said and while he's mostly received a quiet reception, a few which were done with mourning Onye ndu had to nod their heads in agreement.

"On this floor is a sword, and the being who can remove it with his hands is our new leader. Everyone should try it."

Indeed, everyone did try it. They were gathered in a circle around the sword on the floor which was perfectly polished with silver and surrounded by smooth stone. The floor was made from marble and a unique type of stone that never got dirty and up above everyone and at the ceiling of the hall was a million chandeliers hanging.

"Who goes first?" the Fate asked. He was seated in his seat, head bald and wrapped in a cone cap. His long face had a pinched nose that suited him and then, there was those thin lips that were stretched in a cunning smile. He was the middle fate, the one that had been speaking in the most recent events.

The first guy had tried picking up the sword with brute force and had failed after moments of straining his muscles. People took it that it was because of his form and that he was not really a strong god.

So they all tried, including the muscular and the lean, giants and short gods and then there were the goddesses, lean and plump, short and tall and when it was time for Kwento, he did raise it up despite the fact that he had already anticipated his failure. The crowd was filled with shouts of "woahs" and then some jubilation before the Fate's voice rang out.

"And now, the sword has selected your new ruler. We would train him and prepare him in time for the coronation."

Murmurings filled the crowd, and the goddess of gossips spoke up.

"Sir," she said. "The sword selected a convict." Supporting murmurs Rose from the crowd.

"He is innocent," Clara said on seeing the thoughtfully look on the Fates' faces.

"He hasn't been proven innocent," Belu fired back.

"What part of innocent do you not understand goddess's of gossips. Do you expect the perpetrator who drugged him to come out and openly confess?"

"Actually, yes," Belu's friend supported. "That would be better since Onye ndu suggested that."

"Onye ndu was a smart criminal, so we can not trust his judgement," another voice from the back added.

"He was a king before a criminal, you fool!" a goddess added and like that, it turned into a verbal war of ideas and inferences.

"Silence!" The middle fate ordered and his brothers supported with stern looks at the crowd. Apparently they had been discussing amongst themselves using mind links and eye connections.

"We agree that Muonanu here has been convicted for being drunk on the job and since he claims to be innocent, we have decided to hear him." The fate looked at Kwento. "Do you have any evidence to support your claim?"

"Actually, this child here has the ability to see the future in his nightmares and he saw Chimma's kills before she executed each and as for my innocence, my mother and Gilbert are witnesses who know the underhand dealings of what had led to her drugging me."

"Is there anyone who want to testify?"

"He is saying the truth sir, I witnessed Chimma pouring a potion that Gilbert had given her into his drink."

"And I also support," Michael said. "As the god of liquids that pleases men, I can swear that Nanu here has never gotten drunk on my substance."

The Fates' seemed to be convinced and after a moment of silence, their speaker said, "It is now time for the goddess of dreams and awareness to refute this claims."

Heads turned and eyes searched. There was a bleak silence of expectation where the crowd finally realized that Chimma was absent.

"It appears that she is not here," the Fate said. "We give her two days to refute this claim and if she refused to do so, the god of the innocent will be declared innocent by the fifty eighth law of the domain under the fifth trial act."

"Does this include the other girl child that was sighted around the healer's abode?" Bely asked making Michael's head sweep so fast it would have toppled off.

"What?" the Fate asked.

"Well," Belu said, pride costing her voice. "News reaching me is that there was a female god sighted in the tent where our new, King's responsibility was being treated while sick."

"Where is the evidence to support your claim?" the Fate asked.

Belu raised a picture which went sailing into the Fates' hands at their request. It was a black and white photo of Dike lying on a bed in the tent, with Essence holding his hand and Chimma having a finger to his forehead. The photo failed to capture, Kwento, Barb and Josh.

"And who is her father?" The Fate asked. The silence was so deep it could not be ignored.

"I am," Michael said, making Belu's smile wider.

"And the mother?" the Fate asked again.

"Can we not leave her out of this?" Michael asked, moving sideways to block Kylie.

"That piece of information is required to pass the right judgement. Is she a human or a god?"

Michael was silent. Eyes watched and ears were strained until Kylie raised her hands up from behind Michael.

"I am," she said, making Michael shake his head in defeat.

"Since we have these two vocally taking responsibility for their actions, we sentence them both to 3500 years imprisonment."

_THE END.