Chapter 1

Alcide Herveaux

Tara Thornton

She watched him take turns nursing the lukewarm bottleneck beer in his hands and his recently broken heart. Her best friend, Sookie Stackhouse, once again stomped all over a decent guy's heart for her love of vampires. She shook her head as she served up more liquor to Merlotte's so-called finest. She took a side glance at the very tall, very built, very handsome man. Too bad he's one of them. No, not a white guy. After all she was obsessed over Jason almost all of her childhood. And then she and Sam hit it a few times, here and there. Plus, there was the lapse in judgement with Franklin. So, no. Not the white guy thing. She really didn't care about color, if the sex was good. No, her problem was all these fucking supernatural beings everywhere.

Not just in Bon Temps, but all over the damn world. Tara didn't mind helping Sam out, but she was not planning on staying in Bon Temps anymore. It was good to see Lafayette and meet his fine boyfriend, Jesus. But the same old shit that caused her to leave the first time, reared its ugly ass head once again. And she would be damned to play boo-boo the fool one more time for this raggedy, small ass town. "Thanks a lot, Tara." Sam Merlotte said as he walked up beside her. "No, problem. I need the extra cash. Leaving town." Tara told him as she finished cleaning up.

"Again?" He asked, his drawl ever clear. "Yup. You know how I am. Especially when it comes to this town." She said, reminding him. "Yeah, I know." He said as his phone ring. A smile lit Sam's face. "Excuse, it's my girl. I'm going to get your pay ready." Sam said as he walked away before talking on the phone. Tara walked over towards Alcide Herveaux with a fresh, ice-cold beer. She took the warm one out of his hand, replacing it with the cold one. 

Alicide glanced from his hand up to Tara Thornton as she continued to stock up the bar. "Thanks." He simply said. "No problem." She replied. "Besides, I got sick of watching you drink something so warm it could have been your piss." She stated nonchalantly.  Alcide was in the middle of drinking his beer when he choked on it. He coughed a few times and then arched a brow. "Say whatever's on your mind, do ya?" He spoke. "Yeah. Sookie can vouch for me." She answered. "I let anyone, and everyone know how I feel. Or at least I used to before I have been fucked over and over by vampires and other fucking supernatural beings. In every way and I do mean pun intended." She added. 

Alcide gave a light chuckle as he totally understood. And he was one of those fucking supernatural beings. "You know I'm a wolf, right?" He asked her. "Yeah." She said. "I'm talking to you. Not fucking you. Although, I fucked Sam a long time ago. And that was before I knew he was a damn shifter." She rolled her eyes. "He was a dog, so," Her voice trailed off causing Alcide to laugh. Tara gave him a small smile as she noticed she was finally finished with her shift.

Just then Sam walked back with an envelope. "Here's you pay and severance, Tara. You take care and let someone know how you are." Sam said in a bittersweet tone. He smiled and pulled her into a hug. "I will." Tara said, hugging him in return. "She better." Lafayette stated as he stepped up and grabbed a hug for himself. "Bitch better call. A lot." He demanded, trying not to be sad. "I will, Laffy." She replied and smiled wider before giving her cousin a kiss on the cheek. "Take care, Heffer." Tara said playfully, still smiling. "Love you." She told him, causing her cousin to tear up. "Love you, too." His smile fell some. Holly and Sookie came over and hugged Tara goodbye before she grabbed her duffle bag and walked out.

Alcide watched her walk out before he quickly paid his bill and took off out the door to see her in her old car, trying to start it up. "Need some help?" He asked, observing the scene before him. "I don't think your wolf abilities could even get this old thing to work. I'll leave it here and let someone else have the headache." She said as she threw the car keys in the seat. She went inside the glove compartment and took out her important papers and left the rest before she wrote a note to Sookie, Laffy, and Holly. She was sure one of them would know what to do with it.

He just quietly stood there, before she turned around to find him watching her. "What?" She asked. "I was wondering can I give you a lift somewhere? Anywhere?" He said to her. "I dunno. I really don't know you. Only through Sook." Tara said, feeling unsure. Alcide extended his hand out as he exhaled. "Alcide Herveaux." He told her, introducing himself. Tara looked at him and his hand before she decided to meet his greet and shake his hand. "Tara Thornton." She replied.

"Nice to meet you, Tara. Now where are you going?" He asked her. "Well, I've been somewhere and it didn't work out. I think I will go anywhere else. Where are you headed?" She asked him as she adjusted her things. 

Alcide gave a small grin and spoke proudly. "Home. To Shreveport. Wanna come?"