𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞

─────  ENIYA HAD BEEN ON MANY SHIPS IN HER LIFE

─────  ENIYA HAD BEEN ON MANY SHIPS IN HER LIFE. Like staying in any new location, there came the adjustment period. Figuring out what went where and getting used to the creaking—or finding out what doesn't creak. Sleeping was always weird too. Every shadow looked too long, and every bed was uncomfortable because it wasn't your bed.

Sleeping on Shanks' ship had been like that. She never felt in danger. They were nice people, piracy aside, but it was strange to be piled into a room with at least six others.

Being in Buggy's crew had the same effect, only they hadn't been as kind. She was surprised she wasn't going gray with the amount of stress that had given her—hence her penchant for sleeping with a knife both under her pillow and in her hand, just in case.

The Going Merry was different.

It was a ship, just like all the others before. Eniya had to share a room with Nami, as was par for the course. But it wasn't like stepping into the territory of a stranger and having to be mindful of what she touched. Granted, it wasn't like coming home—not yet, and maybe not ever—but it was comfortable.

And that was enough.

They all fell into a routine quickly enough. Luffy liked sitting atop the ram's head for reasons Eniya couldn't understand. Last she checked, eaters of the Devil Fruit were prone to drowning, and Luffy's new favorite spot was a free fall into the open ocean. But nobody else seemed to have an issue with it, so Eniya kept her mouth shut and her eyes open, mentally prepared for when she'd have to dive in and scoop Luffy out of the ocean.

Nami had picked up a compass and took the helm, already guiding them off to a new destination. She wouldn't tell anyone where they were going, and since she was the only one allowed to so much as breathe near her maps (as well as the only one who could read them), nobody could argue with her.

Zoro took his naps below deck, now that that was an option. Usopp liked to steal snacks from the kitchen, while Eniya...

Well, she didn't have much to do. She couldn't climb up to the crow's nest and help keep watch with her injured shoulder, and painting a target on the mast so she could play darts with Zoro had been swiftly vetoed by Nami and Usopp.

"What kind of heathens have you been hanging around?!" Usopp had cried, wrapping his arms around the mast as if he could hide it from her with his body alone. "This was a gift! A gift!"

"She got stabbed for you," Zoro replied, "Just a couple of days ago."

Eniya nodded in agreement, adding, "Straight through the shoulder. It hurt."

Usopp wavered, his eyes falling to the bandage wrapping her shoulder, packed with gauze. "That's... I..."

"Eniya," Nami called from the helm, "Zoro. Stop trying to guilt trip Usopp."