Chapter 3

"What?" MacKenna exclaimed. "That's the extent of our hearing?"

"Please..." Veronica said. It looked as though she wanted to say something else but hesitated. "Kenna's aunt-"

"Silence witch!" Gideon hissed, grabbing her arm in a painful looking way.

"Let go! You're hurting me." She looked at me for help as she twisted her arm in the grip of Gideon's hand. I showed no emotion as my faithfulness to my kingdom won over.

"Take them now, Gideon," I commanded before I regretted my decision.

"A word, brother." Duncan said, looking up at me.

"Not now, Duncan."

"These wee lasses are-"

I couldn't take it! I shot up, grabbed Duncan by the arm, and led him out the side door.

"Jamie," my brother began, "isn't that the lass from yer Calling?"

"Yes." I answered simply.

"Then why are ye acton' like this? Please don't put 'em back in the dungeo, brother. Fergus and I 'll take care o' them."

I sighed, momentarily regretting tell him about my dreams. "Okay. But don't mention the Calling... I can't even be sure it was one."

Duncan smiled. "So, tha's a yes then?"

I nodded and turned, heading back into the throne room, my brother following. I crossed my arms over my chest and said, "I'm releasing you both into the custody of Fergus and my brother, Prince Duncan, until such time that yer trial can be conducted."

"But laird!" Gideon sputtered as his grip on Veronica's arm tighted.

I shifted my gaze to the captain. "Gideon, I require your assistance with the king."

"Yes, sire." Gideon released Veronica and followed me out of the throne room. I wanted to take this matter up with my father, along with Gideon.

While walking down the long hallways, Gideon said,

"My laird, those two lasses just showed up out o' nowhere! They have ta be in league wi' the witch."

"Tell me exactly what happened before and when ye met them, Gideon."

"Well, Fergus and I were out in the forest, headin' over ta watch you and Prince Duncan. When we got there, I saw them under the bleachers, lookin' out. We snuck up behind them an' dragged 'em back to the castle. I put 'em in the dungeon until you got back. Tha's when Fergus and I brought them up ta you."

"And why do ye suspect tha' their in league with the Witch of Doon?"

"I wouldn't have suspected nothin' if it was on the centennial, but bein' that it's in two weeks..."

I zoned out at the mention of the centennial. Every one hundred years (twenty-sevenish for Doon) outsiders, as we call them, are aloud to cross the border and come to Doon. Some are called to Doon, others sometimes just cross the bridge and stumble upon it. But at any other time that isn't the centennial, you can't go to or from Doon... Unless you have the rings of Aontacht.

"Gideon, did these lasses have the rings of Aontacht?"

Gideon hesitated when I said that.

"Aye, m' laird. They did. But how do ye suppose they retrieved them?"

"I canna be sure o' that," I said as we arrived at my father's room.

Oh, Veronica, why couldn't ye just come on the centennial? I don't want ye ta get stuck in this mess.

~~~~
This chapter is dedicated to boookworm01, she was the first person to read this story.