Second Year: Gryffindor vs. Slytherin

Everyone in the school knew about Sirius's dramatic new look by the end of their first day back. James and Peter took to walking either side of him through the corridors, like body guards, shooting glares at anyone who dared snigger or whisper as they passed.

"It doesn't look that bad," James assured him, watching Sirius stare at himself in the mirror. They were hiding in the empty second floor girls' loo's during lunch to avoid any more staring.

James was lying, Remus thought to himself, and Sirius probably knew it. It looked really bad - he seemed so much smaller. Without the dark hair framing Sirius's face his eyes appeared larger than ever, making him look young and anxious. The high cheekbones and sharp eyebrows stood out more than ever, giving him a mean, gaunt sort of look. It was no wonder everyone stared - in fact, barely anyone glanced at Remus's newly scarred face because of the distraction. Still, Remus thought, glumly - hair grew back.

Sirius rubbed his head, still watching his reflection. Peter laughed nervously,

"You look like Lupin."

James nodded, eyes darting between the two of them.

"Yeah, you do a bit."

Sirius looked at Remus, and for the first time since Christmas Eve, Remus saw him smile. That Sirius Black smile - nothing could ever ruin that.

"Oh yeah, I think I see it," Sirius said, still rubbing his head. He reached out and pulled Remus into the mirror's frame, so that they stood side by side, staring at each other. "We could be brothers."

Remus laughed too, despite himself.

Sirius's real brother was waiting outside Gryffindor common room later that evening. He was sitting on the floor with his knees drawn up, staring into space. His hair was still long enough to touch his shoulders. His friend, Barty Crouch was leaning against the opposite wall, looking bored. He had made a paper aeroplane and was directing it lazily up and down the hallway with his wand. Crouch and Regulus were as inseparable as James and Sirius; Barty was fair haired and weedy, with a mean streak longer than Snape's - Remus already recognised him by his cruel barking laugh alone.

Regulus stood up smoothly as the marauders approached. Remus felt inside his pocket for his wand, just in case.

"There you are." The younger boy said, a tremor of nervousness in his otherwise arrogant tone. His eyes kept flicking towards James. Barty's paper plane began circling them all.

"What d'you want?" Sirius asked.

"Just seeing if you're... seeing how you are."

"No different from last night." Sirius shrugged.

"I didn't see you at dinner."

"Wasn't at dinner." Sirius replied, unhelpfully. They'd sent Peter down to the kitchens to pinch some sandwiches and sat in one of Remus's hidden alcoves to eat. Remus was quite enjoying this game - avoiding the rest of the students, even the Gryffindor's. Usually James and Sirius would do everything in their power to be noticed, Remus much preferred flying under the radar.

"Can I talk to you?" Regulus addressed his older brother.

Sirius spread his arms, as if giving Regulus the floor. Regulus rolled his eyes, irritated. He didn't quite have the same mouth as Sirius, Remus noticed. He had a weaker jaw, smaller lips. "I mean alone," he said, shooting looks at James, Peter and Remus.

"No." Sirius said, simply. Regulus sighed. He clearly knew Sirius too well to try and argue.

Barty Crouch's paper plane began spinning faster over their heads. Peter was watching it's progress anxiously.