Second Year: The Long Last Day (Part 1)

Friday 29th June 1973

Remus was running late, and there was still so much left to do. As usual, he had slept later than the rest of the marauders, and by the time he woke up, Peter was the only one left, scurrying out of the door with a quick, "Morning Lupin! Good luck!"

Checking the clock, Remus had leapt out of bed and run for the shower in a state of panic. As he combed his hair in the mirror - thinking glumly that this might be the last time, as Matron was sure to shave him bald as soon as he was back at St Edmund's tomorrow - he ran through the list in his head.

Breakfast first, of course - couldn't miss that. If he got a move on, then he might just catch James and Peter before they set off on their own missions. It would likely be his only chance to see them, because today, the very last day of term, the usually united marauders would be conspicuously separate until the feast.

After breakfast he would have to run back upstairs to pack - Remus was quite sure that they would have a detention coming their way that evening, and he might not have enough time the next morning before they had to catch the train. Once he'd packed, he needed to return his library books. This filled him with a sense of guilt - he still hadn't found anything to help Sirius, despite weeks of research. Their only hope now was that the Black cousins would be able to find a way out of the engagement after the betrothal ceremony had taken place.

On his way to the library he'd be able to drop off his subject applications form at McGonagall's office - he'd put that off far too long already. Then, books returned and form handed in, Remus thought he should have ample time to meet Peter outside the greenhouses at eleven o'clock, where he would collect the invisibility cloak.

As long as everything went like clockwork, Remus should then be able to get the umbrellas he needed from the gamekeeper's shed on the grounds, and smuggle them back to their dorm room. Then it would be about lunch time - Remus was hoping to use that hour to finish reading his book in peace - he'd borrowed it from Sirius and only had a chapter left, so he really wanted that out of the way before they had to go home. Especially as he sincerely doubted that McGonagall would allow him to read during his inevitable detention that evening.

Shortly after lunch, that, the first stage of the marauders end of term plan would come into effect. He would avoid the mayhem and double check he'd packed everything - possibly doing a bit of Sirius's packing too, because the other boy still hadn't done it and Remus suspected he was leaving it to the last minute. Then the preparations for the feast would begin - all he had to do was show up early enough to help James and Sirius with the final incantations. This was provided, of course, that none of them got caught before then.

There was a sudden knock at the bathroom door, just as Remus was pulling up his jeans,

"Toast out here for you, Moony," Sirius's voice called, "Thought I'd save you some time."

"Oh, great, cheers!" Remus called back, pulling on his shirt quickly, as if Sirius might see him through the wood.

"Good luck! See you this afternoon!"

"Yeah - you too!"

Remus heard Sirius's footsteps retreat and disappear down the staircase. Well. At least that was one thing taken care of. He emerged from the steamy bathroom and saw the plate of toast sitting on his trunk. Four slices - Sirius had not been stingy - and each liberally coated with a different spread. Remus grinned and renewed his pledge to help Sirius pack later on.

He spent a leisurely hour munching on the toast and collecting up various belongings which had spread themselves far and wide from his bed to his friends' shelves, even down into the common room. He took the opportunity to play Hunky Dory one last time, saying a fond goodbye to the record player for a few months.