Fourth Year: November (Part 2)

Monday 4th November 1974

"I dunno." Peter said, wringing his hands again. "Professor McGonagall says we shouldn't mess about with time."

"We won't be," Sirius groaned, having already explained the plan twice. "This is a muggle prank, Peter, get it through your thick skull!"

"Don't." Remus frowned, feeling sorry for Peter, who had been sulking all day anyway because he'd been left out of their night time planning. "We're not messing about with time, Pete," Remus explained kindly, "We're just messing about with clocks."

Peter looked at Remus, then at James for confirmation.

"Ok." He said, slowly. "I think I get it."

They'd agreed to do it as soon as possible, and struggled to get through their lessons that day with the mounting anticipation for their devious scheme. Remus had to shush James and Sirius more than once when their excitement got the better of them - they were hardly subtle at the best of times.

"It won't work if anyone else knows about it." Remus hissed at lunch when Mary asked what they were whispering about. "So shut up! I know you lot can keep a secret if you really try."

They could hardly wait for night to fall and the castle to grow still and quiet. It had been a long time since they'd all been out of bounds together after dark, and even though it was a very simple task, all them wanted to go.

There was one problem. It was much more difficult to get all four of them under the cloak than it had been three years ago.

"Peter, you stay here." Sirius said, after their third attempt.

"Why me?" Peter protested, "Why am I always the one left out?!"

"We're not leaving you out, idiot, this is purely a logistical concern." Sirius rolled his eyes.

"James!"

"I'll stay," Remus offered. "I'm the tallest, it's my fault."

"But it was your idea," Sirius whined, "You can't miss out!"

Remus shrugged,

"There'll be lots of times. We're doing this more than once."

"Even with three it's a squeeze." James said. "Black, Pettigrew, sit this one out."

"Why me?!" Sirius and Peter both cried at the same time.

"Because." James's said, lips curling, "It's Moony's idea and my cloak."

It took a little more squabbling, ego massaging and many promises that every night they would take it in turns, just to be fair, before the two rejected marauders conceded. Soon afterwards, Remus and James were creeping through Gryffindor common room under the cloak, tiptoeing past a few sleeping seventh years lying unconscious on their NEWT textbooks.

"Hopefully they'll stop squabbling if we give them an hour alone." James whispered, as they left the portrait hole and entered the dark empty corridor.

"Why is Sirius being such a dickhead to Peter, anyway?" Remus asked his own voice as low as possible. They didn't want to disturb Peeves - or even worse, Mrs Norris.

"All the girls know about the Great Snogging Race," James replied, moving slowly so that Remus could keep pace, "Sirius thinks Pete told them."

"Why would he think that?"

"You know Black," James said with a smile in his voice, "Loves jumping to conclusions. Usually the wrong ones."

"You don't think it was Peter, then?" Remus asked, innocently,