Act 2 | 7: bye boyfriend

"I refrain any of you from shouting out your resu-" "I PASSED" I shout in the middle of class as my teacher gave us our papers back. Everyone looks at me and the teacher coughs signalling me to be quiet. "Sorry" I whisper through a smile. I look back to find Jess' seat empty. I furrow my brows in confusion. He probably just skipped, though I don't think he's done that since I stopped. Or maybe he's sick.

"Lane I've lost Jess again" I whine as we sit at our lunch table, "again?!? you need to put him on a leash, seriously" she shakes her head in disapproval of him. Lane doesn't really like Jess, I don't know why. "He's probably just skipping again" I sigh, he told me he stopped because I did, or he's just sick. "He skips everyday" Lane says, I furrow my brows in confusion, "what do you mean? He told me he stopped when I got back in" Lane shakes her head 'no'. "Well how many classes do you have together?" She asks curiously, I shrug, "we only have English together" I state and she nods, I look around, checking if there's any sign of him, but nothing.

Bringing my gaze back to lane, she says, "I have 3 classes with Jess and he's never in any of them, so I think he might be skipping everything but English" I shake my head in disbelief. So this whole time, Jess has been lying to me...to my face. He must have some sort of reason...right? If I see him before the party later, I'll talk to him about it.

"So, still no sign of him?" I ask Lane as we walk out of school, Lane shakes her head and I nod back. I don't care that he's skipping, it's just that he didn't tell me about it. He made it seem like he was trying just as hard as I was, just to please me. "I can't wait to get wasted" I sigh, thinking about the party later. "Well obviously my mom isn't really the biggest fan of parties. Or anything fun in general, so I'll be in bed" Lane says in a sarcastic tone, Mrs Kim is really something else. I remember the first time I walked into that furniture store... didn't end well.

I'm trying to figure out what I should wear to the party. Casual, or dressy? I loved a good party dress but at the same time I just want to be comfortable, because makeup and hair takes too long. Holding up the green dress I hear a knock at my door. "Dean?" I question, shouting out. "Jess is here for you" Dean shouts back and I throw the dress on my bed. I walk to the front door and drag him into my room with frustration, closing the door behind me. To anyone else that might've look a bit sketchy....

"Jess where have you been?" I ask with anger clear in my voice. Pushing him to sit on my bed, as I begin to pace around my room like a crazy person. "You missed the English paper marks, and Lane told me something this morning. I'm not mad...well just a bit. But I just want to hear the truth from you" the start of my sentence being loud and my pitch getting softer toward the end... my sentence ends with me standing right in front of him with my arms crossed in frustration. "What's going on, Jess?" I ask softly with concern.

"I'm not..." he barely makes it above a whisper. "What?" I ask again. Not being able to hear the last word he said. He stands up angrily, losing his temper. "IM NOT GRADUATING OKAY?!" He screams at me... startling me a bit. I stand up after him, looking into his eyes. But he avoids contact. Furrowing my brows and shaking my head, I take his hand. "Jes-" "forget it, Maria" he brushes me off and walks out the door... leaving me with THAT. And what exactly does that mean?

I was sat on my bed, there's only an hour left until the party started... and I was in no mood for a party. But it is a good way to get my mind somewhere else, because recently Jess has been losing his temper way too much. And it's starting to make me feel a sense of discomfort. Don't get me wrong I think Jess is a great guy, and there's moments where he's really sweet and kind and honest... but there's this whole other side to him that feels like a mystery to me. Underneath there's a boy who's ran away from his home, and hasn't seen his dad in forever. I worry for him.

Walking through the doors I was immediately invited in with loud music and people dancing around. I wasn't in that kind of mood, I just needed to find someone with some kind of drink. I eventually find a table with refreshments and take whatever I can get my hands on. Though I doubt any of it is gonna help my mind ease.

I was on my 4th shot, I managed to find a kind soul with a flask and bribed him into giving me some. I'm pretty sure it's vodka... I could be wrong. Luckily for me I was beginning to feel a bit sick. Climbing up the stairs I needed the toilet... my mind was fuzzy and I couldn't see straight. I feel a hand on my back as soon as I get to the top and I'm met with Jess. I roll my eyes at him and walk away. "Maria?!" He calls walking behind me as I search through the rooms. And once again, lucky for me. The bathroom is locked. And there's no way to go. Because I'm blocked by a door and a Jess...

"What are you doing, Maria?" He questions, is he really that stupid? "What does it look like? I'm having fun. You know just like you do when you skip school." I repeat back turning around and knocking hard on the bathroom door. "I NEED TO PEE" I scream at whoever is in there and finally I hear a toilet flush. "Please tell me you aren't walking home." He says,concerned. Grabbing my shoulder and trying to turn me around. I push him off of me. "JESS GET AWAY!" I shout at him, not realising that I'm now leaning on the bathroom door. The door opens and I collapse on the floor of the bathroom.

Jess tries to help me back up but again I avoid his help. I close the door and lock it, pushing Jess out. I flush the chain when I'm done and look into the mirror. My head is spinning, painkillers... I check the cabinets, until I find some kind of prescription pills. I run water through the tap and take 4 of them. After swallowing them I hear a knock on the door. "MARIA ARE YOU OKAY?!" I hear Jess call out again. I close the cabinet and put the pills back. Walking to the door I'm met with his face again. I've had enough of Jess for today.

"I'm going home now Jess. Just leave me alone." I dodge past him as I leave the bathroom. "You aren't going alone like that. I'm sure no one would want to see you like that, Dean? Clara?" He acts concerned and I roll my eyes, walking down the stairs, grabbing the banisters. "And since when did you care about what my family think!" I scream at him and almost trip down the last few stairs. He tries to catch me but again, I stable myself. On my own. He reaches out to grab me "LEAVE ME ALON-" "Maria?" A voice calls out from the door. I look up and see my twin brother running up to me.

Dean takes a look and sees my state, immediately looking to Jess. Assuming he's the one who made this happen. Dean looks at me with worry I'm his eye and I grab his arm, "Dean it's not him" I try to say before something breaks out.. but I'm clearly too late. "What did you do to my sister huh?" He takes a step toward Jess, looking him up and down with fury. Jess scoffs, "Dean please" I please but he sticks his hand up to my face, blocking me out. "I'm done with you trying to cover up for this jerk" he admits before throwing a punch.

And before I know it, they're on the streets fighting. Police sirens are heard and I just stand there. I don't do anything. I just watch it all happen. My boyfriend and my brother fighting in the streets. That's something I would've imagined at the start of me and Jess' relationship, not now.... I take one last look at Jess before he walks away. No emotion in his face. Like staring at a blank cavas. Someone I never knew. And for what? Skipping class? I feel an arm wrap around my shoulder and look up to find Dean. I give an awkward half smile and look back to see Jess gone...

And that would be the last time I see him for a long long time...