Chapter 2: I Caught Fire

I'm melting in your eyes
I lost my place, could stay a while
And I'm melting in your eyes
Like my first time that I caught fire
Just stay with me, lay with me now

The bad thing about living in such a small town: word gets around fast. Rumors spread twice as quickly, like a bad rash. Before you know it, everyone from your neighbors to the crack addicts on the other side of town have heard tell of your horrific 12th birthday that involved a manic clown, a pocket knife, and 200 mg of Oxycodone. As for Gerard, he took it upon himself to keep verbal damage to his reputation (and self-esteem) as minimal as possible. Although, to be fair, both of those were rather obscure.

The incident created shockwaves of panic in the community, and the police launched an investigation. After news broke that a group of armed delinquents had ambushed a local shop and attacked the only working employee, fear ensued amongst other businesses. Moreover, parents were alarmed at the disclosure that said delinquents were affiliated with a larger drug-ring in the neighboring state of New York. It didn't help Gerard's case that the local news anchor got ahold of the store's surveillance tapes for their five o'clock report. By the end of the day, the entire town knew of the attack.

The rumors, in turn, were ridiculous.

It was during times like these that the public did what the public does best: weigh in with their own crazy theories and conspiracies. Mikey and Ray had heard colleagues discussing the situation, and man, were they reaching. Their favorite: that the dangerous men worked for the "undercover" employee (i.e. Gerard), but were dissatisfied with his "ring-leader" role, which led to the attack. Another one they heard was that the men were quite possibly loan-sharks – that they came to collect what Gerard owed them in money used on drugs. After a while, Gerard tried not to pay them much mind. It was pointless.

It had been a long and agonizing trip to the emergency room; talking to the police downtown even more so. After the nurse extracted the glass remnants and treated Gerard's busted lip, (thankfully without the need of stitches), the Way brothers had met up with investigators at the station after a worried phone call from the store's owner. He wasn't happy, to say the least, but he wasn't upset with Gerard either. That was one less thing to worry about. In fact, because of the accident, it meant that the store was going to be closed for at least a week for the insurance company to assess and pay for damages. Though, being relieved of work didn't alleviate his racing mind.

Recalling the brawl wasn't any easier the second time, or even the third. But after an hour of describing the dangerous men in detail, giving the police extensive information on Frank, and apologizing profusely, Gerard was left feeling more than drained. It was like his body was too tired to even process what he was thinking and seeing in color. Everything was dull, gray, muted. He felt a burning static under his clammy skin. But worst of all, he was unable to shake the thought of Heath coming after him – finishing what he had started. He knew he would find him eventually, and he dreaded that.

After a private and rather emotional recount of the incident, paired with Mikey's back pats and Ray being called over to bring donuts and Starbucks, Gerard was finally sitting upright on the couch as he wiped away tears. His entire body was in hot, stinging pain, especially in the face. He then saw his reflection on the TV in front of them. His hair was disheveled, there was butterfly tape on his cuts, and his bruises were darkening. He looked disgusting. Ugly.

He grabbed the remote to turn on the pixelated screen. He exhaled, perhaps in relief or perhaps in dread as it washed away his reflection and drowned the blaring silence in the room.