Prologue.

The night air had the nip of autumn in it as a woman in faded jeans and a flannel stepped out of a 50s diner, the scent of cigarette smoke and gasoline mingling with grease. Ugh- nothing like a plate of cheap, greasy, food after a depressing day at work. Nick stretched her arms above her head, her stomach rumbling like she had eaten a meal of rocks, I bet I could sleep for a week-

"Why hello there," a deep, slimy, velvety voice spoke as a hand with a vice-like grip locked onto her wrist and dragged her into the dark alleyway beside the diner. 

Every hair on her body stood on end, "What the hell?!" She bristled like a cat, struggling against the impossibly strong grip of her assailant. "I'm not interested. Leave me alone."

He pushed her effortlessly against the wall despite her thrashing. The dim light made his face difficult to see, but the cruel smile on his features was plain as day. "You know, this area is dangerous at night, you never know what kind of riff raff you'll encounter after dark," he spoke in a refined and precise manner, unlike the average drug addict, his words full of malice. "Are you lost?"

"Leave me alone." Every muscle in Nick's body tensed as she braced herself for the fight of her life, pushing away the unwanted memories brewing in the back of her mind, and swallowing hard to push down the bile rising in her throat. "Leave me alone now, unless you want deep fried grease and stomach acid all over your nice suit." Her heart was pounding but her eyes were clear, allowing her to see the expensive-looking suit he was wearing.

"Such a filthy little mouth," he scolded her condescendingly as he leaned closer, cold breath fanning her neck as he trapped her against the wall with his body. "I'm sure you'll taste delicious regardless, and I'm so hungry-"

She couldn't breathe. She had to act. She had to do something, anything to get him off her. She lunged. 

Nick's teeth dug into cold skin as she bit his shoulder. She clamped her jaw harder and harder until the taste of foul iron filled her mouth, and the man jerked away from her.

"You-You bit me?!" He sputtered in a combination of pain, anger, and disbelief. He touched the wound at the base of his neck. "You. Bit. Me. Do you have any idea what you've done?!" A flash of fear crossed his face in the dark.

She panted for breath, the taste of blood making her gag. "GET THE HELL AWAY FROM ME YOU FREAK!!!" She ran, not about to try her luck spending another moment in the company of such a dangerous man. 

She ran two city blocks nonstop, ignoring the honking horns and angry shouts when she darted across the road. Only when she reached the third block did she let her pace slow to a brisk walk. Her heart still pounded in her chest as the hum of other people's presence lulled her panic into a dull paranoia.

Anger mingled with the fear as she recalled his arrogance. He looked down on her like she was nothing. Stupid entitled asshole!!! I hate this city!!! She glared around viciously at the concrete jungle around her that turned people into animals even more vicious than those found in distant jungles. 

Nick rubbed her chin, her fingers were smeared in a rusty red. Crap- the nausea returned as she wiped off the rest of the man's blood with her sleeve. I hope he didn't have anything contagious. Guess I'll have to get that checked out after work- bye bye eating out for the rest of the month. She sighed, lamenting the money she would lose visiting the doctor tomorrow. 

A/N

Not a Halloween oneshot, but I hope you enjoyed. Happy Halloween!!!

Until next time I'll see you on the other side

~J. C. Coltt.~