1. To Bite a Vampire.

"I'm sorry pa, I'm so sorry!!!" Nicolette looked up at the towering figure of her father, silhouetted in the doorway of their simple wooden home. Her blood ran cold, the scrapes on her knees and the mud on her dress the least of her worries now.

"You know the rules," his deep, low, voice rumbled like approaching thunder. "You keep the house clean, you obey me like you obey God, and you read your Bible every day."

"I'm sorry, please forgive me," she bowed her head meekly, trying to look as small as possible. 

"What were you doing roughhousing with the boys?" He asked in his usual gruff way. "It's not your place. It's my job to protect you, and it's your job to obey, do you understand?"

"Yes…" She didn't dare look up as she heard the sound of his boot-clad footsteps drawing closer. 

"Your whore of a mother couldn't understand, and she's in hell for it now," his words rumbled above her, "and I'd sooner join her then let you turn out the same way." 

"Wait- pa please-" Nicolette tried to plead as she heard him removing his belt, terrified of the beating to come. 

"NICK!!!"

"Nick!!! Get your head in the game!!!" A shout from her boss startled her out of her vivid recollections. "No zoning out on the job!!!" He snapped his fingers in front of her face.

"S-sorry," she stumbled back, startled out of her thoughts of the recurring nightmare, agitated by last night's assault. Stupid nightmare, she hated how, even miles away, that man still had an effect on her life.

"Sorry who?" Her boss asked her condescendingly.

"Sorry sir," She responded in monotone.

"That's more like it," He said with a nasty smile on his ruddy face, "never forget that I hired you when no one else would. Who would want a green girl with no education or skills?"

"No one…" Nick looked down at the floor of the auto shop, pretending to examine the details of her work boots. 

"Good, now get back to work!!!" He patted her on the back, letting his hand linger a bit too long before stomping back off to his office. 

She shivered in disgust as she returned to changing the oil on the SUV she was working on. I hate him. She scowled openly  now that her boss wasn't around to scold her about not smiling. Does he really get that much of a power trip belittling me?

"Hey Nicky doll, don't beat yourself up, I can think of one thing green girls are good for," the tech working next to her called from under his car, "staying home and making babies."

"Shut up, Travis," She tried to keep her voice even.

"Or what?" He pressed, the pretend nice tone being replaced by side mockery. "We all know you're only here because of new hiring laws, or maybe you're just sleeping with the boss." He laughed crassly. 

"Shut up, now." Nick was used to hearing such guard house banter, but she always hated it. He loved to strip the humanity away of anyone who slept with him, and she hated hearing about it.

"You certainly aren't much of a woman, but I guess having another body in your bed is better than not." He laughed, belittling her lack of curves and muscular build. "God made women to serve men after all-"

Her heart pounded in her ears. She couldn't see. Everything was too bright. Too loud. Too sharp. She had heard more than enough talk of God in one life. "SHUT THE HELL UP!!!"

She wasn't sure exactly what she did in her attempt to grab Travis from under the car, but when her vision cleared she saw Travis beneath her with her hands clasped around his neck, and the car torn off the jacks and crumpled against the far wall like a tin can. 

Oh- oh my God. She thought numbly as she was dragged off Travis by the other auto shop workers. Did-did I really do that-

"What the HELL is going on out here?!" The door to the office flew open, and the boss stormed out, his face turning purple as he soaked in the distraction. "Who did this?!"

"It was that Nick bitch-" Travis shouted, scrambling to his feet, shaking like he saw a ghost. "She's crazy!!!"

"Get out of my shop," her boss ordered her, glaring as though she was everything wrong with the world.

Nick was still regaining her senses, trying to piece together what exactly she did. She couldn't have caused the damage to that car, could she? "But I-"

"GET THE HELL OUT BEFORE I CALL THE COPS ON YOUR ASS!!!" Her boss shouted so loudly drops of spittle landed on her face and she felt like her ears were going to shatter. 

Not needing to be told twice, Nick haphazardly gathered the majority of her things and left, the atmosphere feeling like it was trying to strangle her. Only when she was outside did she feel like she could breathe again. 

Well, at least today can't get any worse. She laughed, unaware that it, in fact, could.

. . . 

"UGHHH-" Nick groaned, venting her frustrations at the disappointing doctor's visit she had in an escalation of sound. After waiting hours to get seen the only explanation she got for what she did to the car was "hormones." A soft anger simmered in her chest as she stomped in the direction of home. I got assaulted last night, had that nightmare again, got fired, threw a car across a room, and got to the doctor to discover that nothing's wrong.

"What a waste of money," she scoffed, bitterly thinking of how dismissive they were about her concerns. Glad I'm healthy, but a low heart rate doesn't explain whatever the hell I did. She sighed, taking some comfort knowing that she hadn't caught anything contagious from the freak who assaulted her. 

Her eyes caught the bright glint of neon paint on shiny new sports car. Everything looked so clear today. Instinctively her hand reached out to touch it, I wonder, could I do that again if I tried? She thought of the car crumpled against the wall of the auto shop before jerking her hand back. No, there's no way. It must have been adrenaline or something…

She sighed as her concrete cellblock on an apartment building came into view. Kicking away empty bottles on the ground she walked through the broken storm door and made her way up three flights of stairs. She used her key on her door and had to pull several times before it finally decided to open. 

Grumbling, she entered her bare-bones apartment and grabbed the last pack of ramen from the cupboard. She poured water in and set it in the microwave. She pressed start, nothing happened. Right, the microwave was still broken. 

Too tired to care, Nick resigned herself to a dinner of raw noodles in tap water. "Oh yeah, that's the good stuff~" She lied as she took a bite.

"Who the hell am I kidding?" Tears began to form in her eyes at the state she was living in, she pushed the ramen away. This is pathetic

Suddenly every hair on her body stood on end. Someone was there. She didn't know how she knew it, but she knew. She could feel it. She wasn't alone in her apartment. 

She stood, every part of her stretched and taught. She snarled, "I know you're there, come out now!"

A/N

I hope you enjoyed the first chapter. There will be more vampire action coming soon, don't worry. ^~^

Until next time I'll see you on the other side

~J. C. Coltt.~