2. Midnight Guest.

Snatching a knife from the drawer, Nick's eyes darted around the darkness of her apartment that extended beyond the tiny kitchen. Despite the dark, she could make out every detail of the furnishings before her. Where are they? Where are they? Where are they?! Her ears strained for the slightest sound made by the intruder and her whole body tensed. A dart of movement on the balcony. THERE-

She sprung like a tightly coiled spring out onto the balcony, pinning the intruder beneath her. "Got you!" 

Mind swirling with unfamiliar bloodlust, she brought the knife down towards their chest with her newfound strength. The blade shattered into glinting metal splinters. "W-what the hell?!" She gasped, the shock bringing her to her senses and the handle of the useless knife falling from her hand with a clatter. 

"P-please don't hurt me," the shrill voice of a teenager spoke, his body trembling beneath her and his dirt-covered face tinged graey with fear. "I'm sorry I-I, know this looks bad but I promise it's not what it looks like." He pleaded, his voice cracking with emotion. 

"Then you better tell me what's going on," Nick demanded, "now!" Her sharp gaze scanned him up and down carefully. It wasn't just his face that was dirty, he wore a mud-caked suit. There was so much dirt it was difficult to discern clear features of his face.

"I got buried alive," the words came out all at once, followed by a hiccuping sob. "Last thing I remember was working my shift at the Greasy Slider, then nothing. I-I woke up in darkness. I-I don't know how I got out but I did you have to believe me."

"That's a crazy story, and it doesn't even explain why you climbed up onto my balcony and tried to break into my apartment," She huffed, her mind preoccupied on trying to figure out why her knife broke. Was he wearing some sort of protection beneath that dirty suit?

"I-I don't know- nothing feels right. EVERYTHING in the city feels wrong and this place just smelled so safe-" his breathing came in short gasps, pearly tears leaving streaks through the dirt in his face. "shit- I know I sound crazy but I can't go back out there, please- please let me stay." He pleaded, body shaking with suppressed sobs.

She tugged at his dirty suit, ripping it apart like paper instead of unbuttoning it like she intended. He flinched as his translucent white chest was exposed to the light of the moon. He wasn't wearing anything that could have shattered that knife.

"The bathroom is through the bedroom, I don't want you getting dirt all over my apartment." Nick pointed as she got off him, pulling him up by his collar, "If you try anything, I WILL kill you. Understand?"

"Y-yes ma'am," He stammered, trembling like a leaf in the wind as he scurried towards the bathroom.

What the hell is wrong with him? Nick wondered if she should be worried about him robbing her, but she had nothing worth taking. She sighed as she sank into her seat at the counter, her gaze following the track of dirt he had left on the carpet.

"They come back from the grave, they look like they're human, but they're not. Understand?" Her Pa's words from years ago echoing in her head. 

"Normal weapons can't scratch them, you need something blessed or made of silver." The kitchen knife shattering was fresh in her mind. If she hadn't seen it with her own eyes she wouldn't have believed it was possible. 

"They have fangs to drink the blood of the living to feed and grow their numbers. If you're bitten you're already dead, understand?" Did he have a pair of fangs beneath those quivering lips? A twin bite-mark on his neck perhaps? Should she check when he comes back?

Damn, I always thought pa went crazy after mom died. Nick ran a hand through her short hair comfortingly, trying to soothe her anxiety. Were the monsters of the night he always talked about real? Would that boy drink blood if he was given some? Did it all connect to the stranger who assaulted her? She shuddered, This madness.