❥ TWO

WE FOUND WONDERLAND
YOU AND I GOT LOST IN IT

❥ WE FOUND WONDERLANDYOU AND I GOT LOST IN IT ❥

🂱🂽🂱

Althea Layog was twenty four when she decided to go to the fire academy, a decision that didn't just confuse her mother, but it also confused her best friends. Out of the neighborhood trio—Andrea Herrera, Ryan Tanner, and Althea Layog—it was Andrea Herrera who they thought would go to the academy.

Andy was a legacy, her father ran one of the best stations in Seattle, she always knew she wanted to be a firefighter. She was a Herrera, for crying out loud. Andy just... hadn't done it yet.

Ryan Tanner, though? Althea wondered when he would ever get his shit together and figure out what he was going to be doing with his life. He couldn't hot wire cars forever. She had a feeling it would be a little while for him.

Becoming a firefighter was a year long process—getting through the fire academy was a fifteen and a half week program and the Fire Fighter I Exam, which lead up to her probie period, which was 36.5 weeks of being a probationary firefighter. After the year was up and she had enough hours done, she would need to pass the Fire Fighter II Certification Exam.

Being the only girl in the fire academy was hard, being the only girl during her probie period was harder. She was now twenty five, no longer a probie—but what does passing the Fire Fighter II Certification Exam and becoming a full fledged fire fighter mean to a girl who left one month into being fully certified to work at a damn bar?

Oh right, nothing.

She was finally not a probie, and now she just wasn't a fire fighter either.

She did have a degree she could fall back on: a bachelor in healthcare administration—she used to want to work in "medicine", or what she liked to call "saving lives" without having to do all the science-y and med school-y and actually saving lives-y things—so she once wanted to work in human resources at a doctor's office, medical foundation, or hospital.

But she was feeling a little too lost to go look into real jobs.

Cristina wasn't in at the time, Althea working the first few hours of her shift alone. She wiped down the counter at the bar as soft music played in the bar.

"Hey probie."

She looked up in annoyance when she heard the voice, only looking at him for a second before looking back down.

"Not your probie anymore, Travis," she said shortly, scrubbing the already clean counter harder.

"Right," Travis said, tapping the counter. He flashed her a smile and pointed at her, "you're just a Fire Fighter now."

"You know I'm not that either," she chuckled sarcastically.

"But you should be."

When she looked up at Travis, he was giving her a pleading expression. The one that was screaming, 'don't waste your potential.' She gave Travis a disapproving look, throwing the rag into the sink behind her to dry off the side. She grabbed a beer from the fridge behind her and put it in front of him.