Chapter 3: Strange Bedfellows

Alma didn't want to think anymore tonight. She tried to keep quiet, but she ultimately didn't care about risking the fairies hearing her and barging through the doors, realizing what she was doing, and dragging her away to be punished. Clothes were shed in a matter of seconds. Mouths and hands were rough and unyielding. Aric swept her up in his strong arms and shoved her against the wall, the heat of the moment consuming all her thoughts and anxieties like wildfire. Nothing mattered, only this.

After the intense act, the Evergirl and Neverboy lied side by side on the canopied bed, still undressed and cooling down.

"Can't believe I met an Ever who was willing to fuck me," Aric said, looking at her with a tired, yet self-satisfied grin. "You sure you're in the right school?"

Alma half-laughed. "I'm not in the right world."

"You're a Reader?"

"Apparently, but I'm not from Gavaldon. I'm from Crescenta."

"Huh?" Aric said. "What the hell is Crescenta?"

"Another place where Readers come from, I guess? It's a city and we're cursed with a theme park that takes up half of the land. Never cared about fairy tales. Never wanted to be here. But this school thinks it can turn me into a prince-fucking princess."

Aric laughed. "Weird. Sounds like we're in a similar situation, though." He looked up at the canopy, taking a deep breath. "I'm only here because my mom made some kind of deal with the School Master. She's the dean for Evil. Anyone who works here has to cut all ties with their family members, including kids, so I don't know what my mom did to persuade him. I would've rather been abandoned."

"The more I learn about the School Master," Alma said, "the more I want to burn his tower down with him inside it."

Aric wheezed. "You'd be the hero of all the Never kingdoms, if you succeeded."

Alma sighed. "I just want to go back home. No idea why I was taken when there were so many other options."

"Hm."

They lied in silence for a minute, then Aric got up off the bed and began to re-dress. Alma rolled onto her side and rested her head in her palm as Aric pulled on his slim-fitting, black pants.

"Leaving?" she said.

"Why?" Aric said. "Up for another round?"

Alma's gaze flicked to his open fly. "Maybe."

Aric snickered, and he zipped up his pants.

"Next time," he said, and yanked his black uniform shirt over his head, covering his taut, rippled stomach, "but in my room. Malice Tower, room sixty-nine."

"Is it actually sixty-nine?"

"Yep."

He slipped on his boots and headed for the balcony doors.

"Wait," Alma said, sitting up. "How do I get there?"

Aric flashed an impish smile.

"You'll figure it out," he said, gripping one of the handles, "if you want it badly enough."

He opened the door and closed it behind him, and his shadow moved out of sight behind the colorful glass, disappearing.

Alma sprang off the bed and grabbed a robe from the wardrobe and threw it on, and she hurried outside to see how far Aric had made his way across.

He was nowhere to be found.

Alma wondered how she was supposed to reach the Evil castle when it was heavily guarded by man-wolves and gargoyles. How had Aric managed to bypass them? How had he avoided detection from the cupids and fairies that oversaw the Good castle? He had to know some kind of magic, a spell that didn't require a fingerglow to cast.