8-Eliana

Chapter Eight| Eliana

"I don't think you understand. Baker doesn't stick to one place, the orphanage no longer exists after the breach, I was moved somewhere else." I explain to King, whose plan was to find Baker's organisation, and blow it to pieces. Only it's not that simple. "He's good at hiding his tracks."

"And where was this new place you were moved to?" He questions me.

"I don't know." King frowns and tilts his head. "Every time I needed to enter, or leave the premises, I was drugged. I haven't been there for over five years as I was able to move into an apartment that Baker provided for me." I awkwardly ring my fingers, because it hits me how sad my life has been. How I've never had the freedom because I was always watched.

"Well, is it in the country at least?" I nod my head. "Right, well things have gotten more complicated than I would have wanted."

"He does have an office at a strip club not far from here. That's where I usually meet him if needed." Reid's body tenses behind me, and I turn my head to look at him over my shoulder. "What is it?"

His jaw tics and he shakes his head.

"It's nothing."

"Me and the girls could go there now and see if he's there —"

"No, you can't. He hasn't heard from you for a few days now, so he'll know something isn't right. I'll send Tank and Brick to scope the place, you will have to stay out of sight." King orders.

"Does that mean I can't leave this place?" The thought of being cooped up in one place for too long sends a shiver through my body because despite being locked away for most of my life, the past few years I was allowed some freedom to go wherever, even if I was watched.

"You can leave, as long as you're with someone else, but I would advise you to stay away from places where you feel like you could be seen by the wrong kind of people. I don't need them following you home, and hurting my family, I have a four-year-old son to think about too." I nod my head in understanding.

"I'll be with her at all times." Reid steps up beside me, and then laces our fingers together. I stare down at our hands, and the back of my eyes burn with tears. He squeezes my hand and I squeeze his back, eventually finding the courage to look up at his face. He gives me a reassuring smile and I return the gesture.

"Right, any of you hear or see anything it gets reported back to me." Nods and yeses fill the room, and then King kindly tells us to fuck off, so we all exit the office one by one.

As I round the corner I bump into a shorter black woman, who looks to be a few years older than me.

"Oh, so sorry." She squeaks.

"My fault, I wasn't looking where I was going." I laugh lightly.

"This is Mabel, my dad's wife." Reid introduces the sweet woman to me, and my eyes widen.

Because for one, she can only be in her early thirties, two, she looks way too sweet to be killing people for a living, and three, she's fucking gorgeous.

"Lovely to meet you." I hold my hand out, but her short frame pulls me into a tight hug, and I hear Reid chuckle behind me as I have to crouch down to an awkward angle to embrace her.

We pull away from the hug and she grabs hold of my hands and throws me a sympathetic smile. "It gets easier, sweetie. Those evil people who steal what's rightfully ours, pay for what they've done." I gasp at what comes out of her mouth. "Baker will pay." Her face hardens, and she squeezes my arms before disappearing behind the door to King's office.