56 - Eliana

Chapter Fifty-Six | Eliana

Welcome home?

Welcome home?!

"I knew you were capable of many things, Eliana, but betrayal was not one of them." He sneers and I lift my chin, staring him down. "You threw it all away for him. The boy who left you to die all those years ago during the breach that your stupid mother orchestrated." His glare shifts to Reid who stares at him with a bored expression etched onto his face.

"I'll give you one thing, Baker, you were always a great liar. Shame it only got you this far, isn't it?" I purse my lips and puff out my cheeks.

"I gave you a gift, Eliana. I made you into the assassin you are today, the killing machine you were always meant to be. But you've become weak and pathetic, and that disgusts me." He looks me up and down with that said disgust written across his ugly face. "There is another thing you should give me, Eliana. It's the fact I'm always one step ahead of you."

My fingers flex around my gun, and I glance at Ivan and Reid from the corner of my eye, their guns still aimed at an unfazed, fucked-up man.

"And why would you think that?"

Baker crosses his hands behind his back and begins to stroll around the room with a calm expression, like the threat of dying soon isn't scary. "You don't understand the potential you have wasted within yourself." My brows turn downward, and I tilt my head, anticipating what's about to crawl its way out of his filthy mouth. "I brainwashed you many times after your training, but that mind of yours was resistant and do you know why that is? Because you fell in love and nothing, I did could stop that. You put more pressure on my shoulders! So, I tortured your mind in other ways. If I couldn't turn you into the assassin, I wanted you to be at the time, I would put you to other use, like putting you in that gentlemen's club once a week. I enjoyed watching you suffer, and I knew at some point those memories would come back to haunt and torture you. Part of your mind soon began to cooperate with the training, so I stopped sending you there."

Bile rises in my throat, and I try to compose the expression on my face, not wanting to give him the satisfaction of how much his words are causing me pain.

"That rebellious mind of yours couldn't be tamed — not as easily as the others." My index finger twitches on the trigger

"You are disgusting, you know that? Taking children away from their families to turn them into killers!" I yell and his feet pause, and he looks at me over his shoulder. "You're going to die tonight."

He looks relieved at the statement and that doesn't make me feel any better about this situation. Why is he relieved?

"If it has to be a few weeks earlier, then so be it."

"You're dying," Ivan speaks, puzzling the pieces together. Baker nods his head in confirmation and Ivan shakes his head in disbelief, tilting his head back.

My bottom lip trembles and my mouth drops open. He's okay with dying because he's gotten away with everything he has done. He accepted death ages ago, so a sharp bullet in the head would be doing him a favour.

"Don't look so sad, my sweet child." My feet are frozen on the spot as I watch him close the distance between us until he reaches up to caress my cheek with his cold hand making me flinch like I've just been electrocuted. "I lived a good life." A sickening smirk etches on his face, and I turn away to release a sob.

Not for him though.

But for me.

For Reid.

For Ivan.