Chapter Three

Lan Wangji's back was burning. The place between his shoulder blades felt as if they were on fire, and he was floating in the air. He didn't know where he was, or what was happening.

The only thing he could focus on would be the pain and the sudden sound of laughter around him, and a voice cheerfully calling his name.

"Lan Zhan!"

It was a familiar voice he loved too much. 

His eyes felt like they were glued shut, and he was only allowed to open them once his name was said. He saw nothing but darkness.

There was no sign of the moon, but only the stars.

He was in the sky.

He also couldn't focus on anything but what appeared in front of him and the pain on the back of his body that only grew greater.

There was a small figure in the distance. He couldn't make out the sight of movement until it drew closer.

Until it flew closer.

He could eventually see the slow flapping of a little pair of wings. 

He then realized that this small figure was huge. No matter how dark the creature appeared to be, there was a light from behind Lan Wangji that showed him what it really was. 

It was a dragon.

The voice was gone. There was no laughter. There was no sound of his name again. He heard nothing.

He saw the gleaming dark scales. The dragon left a wave of coldness that made him shudder each time a wing brushed his skin. It circled him, and he stayed frozen. 

The outline of the wings were shimmering and black, and the body was covered in different shades of grey. Each tip of every scale was a bright crimson. When Lan Wangji caught a glimpse of the tail, it was nothing but red at the very end and black everywhere else. It looked sharper than a sword.

Lan Wangji didn't know what to think of it.

It looked as if it has been in a fight, covered in blood that did not belong. 

The next thing he looked at would be the eyes.

They were red, and they looked familiar.

"Wei Ying," he whispered in awe when the dragon came back around from circling him. 

He clearly heard his name, and stopped moving.

Then he started to change rapidly. Everything started to disappear from him; the scales, the antlers, the size, the sharp, deadly tail.

The large body of the dragon almost completely melted away, and what he saw left of it would be the man himself, red eyes smiling and black wings slowly flapping behind him. 

The longer Lan Wangji stared, the worse the pain in his back became.

He gave into the urge to look behind him, and what he saw was what he felt.

Fire.

They were coming straight out of his back.

The wings were a flaming gold, and they burned bright. 

But as Lan Wangji looked at them, the pain started to recede. His eyes filled with tears.

And when he finally looked down, they started falling.