Chapter Five

Lan Wangji opened his golden eyes and blinked at the smooth ceiling above him. Then he looked down.

He stared at the soft shades of the purple silk sheet and ridiculously soft blanket that covered most of his body. A vivid quilt had been set over his feet.

He hadn't fallen asleep like this.

Who came into his room last night?

"You're awake."

A familiar voice made him startle. He shifted his head and slowly turned, ignoring the slight bit of pain that shot up his back.

He found the Princess sitting on a small chair beside his bed.

She looked tired. Lan Wangji's eyes widened. Her face looked gloomy and pale.

Clearly, something had happened. She looked like she hasn't slept in days, and it petrified Lan Wangji.

They weren't close, but he still cared about her.

Her eyes were downcast. Lan Wangji was faintly aware that his mask was still on. He suddenly wanted to take it off and get a better look at Jiang Yanli, but he couldn't move.

He was shocked and afraid. He had never seen her like this before.

Her clothing was rumpled and creased, stained by long wearing. But she didn't seem aware of her bedraggled appearance.

She stared fixedly at the wooden floor.

Something had happened to her, and it wasn't good.

Could the Prince have something to do with it?

Jiang Wanyin?

The King?

The Queen?

Lan Wangji then thought of the most probable person for something like this.

What did he do now?!

The Second Jade of Lan felt as if he were the only one causing problem after problem.

"What happened?" he finally managed to ask, even if it was in a low murmur. He stared at the Princess until she finally looked up at him.

Her brown eyes had visible bags under them and they were bloodshot. Her lips were down-turned and she held both of her hands in a tight fist.

Jiang Yanli was clearly in a terrible mood, and Lan Wangji didn't want to know what had happened. But he also did. He wasn't one for wanting to become a part in someone else's business, and it made him feel faintly queasy.

In the Cloud Recesses, he had never tried nor wished to know knowledge that did not belong to him.

When Wei Wuxian studied there, he suddenly wanted to know every single thing about him, even when he knew that being nosy was forbidden.

The Prince was utterly shameless when it came to the rule, breaking it any time he wished to without looking back.

Lan Wangji was furious at first, but as they grew closer, he couldn't help but let everything slide. He was quickly falling in love, and he didn't want to see his crush in a position that would break his heart. He didn't want Wei Wuxian to hate him, either.

Jiang Yanli almost looked as if she had aged several decades.

"You happened," she said flatly and sighed.

Lan Wangji raised a brow and his lips parted. He never knew that the Princess was capable of saying such a disrespectful thing.

She had always been polite, even when it came to facing cultivators that she did not take a liking to. She had a great sense of self restraint, and Lan Wangji admired her for it.