₀₀₁ - 𝙲𝚘𝚗𝚟𝚒𝚗𝚌𝚒𝚗𝚐

"Hey mom," I said, going down the stairs, to help with the groceries. I grabbed one of the plastic bags.

My mom turned to me with a warm smile, her eyes sparkling with anticipation. "Hey sweetie, are you going to help me cook tonight?" she asked, bending down to kiss my forehead.

I just stared at her blankly. Was she talking to me? You see, I had a well-deserved reputation for being kitchen-challenged. I once set off the smoke alarm just by boiling water, not on purpose, of course.

The 3 of us used to cook together, well that was until my dad died when I was 8. I haven't helped my mother in the kitchen since. I know it might seem ignorant to do so, but I just can't get myself to it.

I let out a little smile "Only if you're willing to go shopping for a brand-new kitchen afterward. Because if I set foot in there, I can't promise it won't turn into a disaster"

but before my mom could answer me, my phone began to ring. I looked at the Caller ID, holy shit it was K.I.S.S. I had been waiting for this moment for what felt like an eternity, and now, they finally called.

" Sorry, I gotta answer this" I said to my mom, while pointing at the phone. My mom just went into the kitchen.

"Hello?" I said as soon as my mother was out of earsight, trying to keep my voice steady despite the racing of my heart.

A voice on the other end responded, "Hello, is this Y/N Jin Seong?"

"Yes, this is she"

My breath caught in my throat as I realized who it was. It was the admissions officer from K.I.S.S, the Korean Independent School of Seoul. My dream school, the place I had been yearning to attend for as long as I could remember.

I know it's really far away from LA, but my grandmother had gone there, she told amazing stories from her time there.

There was silence on the other end, as if time had frozen, and then the admissions officer's voice carried the most beautiful words I could ever hope to hear, "I am delighted to inform you that your application to K.I.S.S has been accepted."

I could hardly believe what I was hearing. I had been accepted. I was going to K.I.S.S. My dream was coming true.

"Thank you so much. I can't express how grateful I am. "The call soon ended.

"괜찮아, 왜 비명을 지르는 거야(are you okay, why are you screaming?)" my mother yelled to me from the kitchen

The aroma of dinner simmering on the stove filled the air. I cleared my throat, feeling a mixture of excitement and nervousness. My mom, with her apron on, was focused on the bubbling pots and sizzling pans.

"sooo what's up?" she said while making her 'cool' hand signs

I let out a nervous laugh"Mom," I began tentatively, "I need to talk to you about something."

My mom turned away from her cooking for a moment, her warm eyes locking onto mine. "Of course, sweetie. What's on your mind?"

I took a deep breath and found the right words. "Well, you know that school K.I.S.S. I always talk about? Well I applied for a spot there, andddd, i got a call from them today."

Her eyebrows raised in curiosity as she wiped her hands on her apron. "Oh? What did they say?"

"A spot opened up today, and I got accepted, Mom. They called me, and they want me to join their school."

Her eyes sparkled with pride, and she crossed the room to hug me tightly. "Y/N, that's incredible! I'm so proud of you." she said while walking away from the stoves, embracing me.

I returned the embrace, feeling a mix of joy and relief. "Thank you, Mom. But here's the thing... K.I.S.S. is in Seoul"

Her expression shifted. "Seoul, like Seoul, South Korea, Seoul? It's halfway across the world."

"I know, Mom, but I heard grandma talk so good about it and she said it was the best time of her life. I've dreamt of studying there, ever since and KISS is an amazing school"

She considered my words, her hand gently cupping my cheek. "I can see how passionate you are about this, Y/N. But, you know, it's a big step, and you'll be so far from home."

I nodded, understanding her concerns. "I've thought about that, Mom, and I promise I'll stay in touch all the time."

Her gaze softened, and she took a deep breath. "You've always been so responsible and dedicated, ugh i can't say no to you"

I let out a sigh of relief, feeling a weight lift off my shoulders. "Thank you, Mom. You have no idea how much this means to me."

She hugged me again, this time with a bittersweet smile.

My mother watched as I folded clothes, arranged my essentials, and ensured I had all the documents and items I'd need in Korea.

"and you will need this one, ouh wait, you'll also need this one" she said while she kept on handing me different documents.

"mom"

"I think I had another one over here" she said looking around her desk.

"mom"

"Wait no, now I remember where it was," she said walking away.

"MOM" i swear to god she's getting more and more hearing difficulties with her age.

"i'll be fine, okay?" i said trying to ensure her

words: 903

A/N hellooo this is the first chapter, i hope it is good, please vote, and say if there is something i can do better