Indictment

The couple's hearts stopped beating when they saw one of the officers approach them. Sweat dripping from their foreheads and eyes wide with fear. They caught them, they finally caught them and it was either going to be life in prison or execution.

Toby looked at them with a confused face, he was going to ask his mum what was going on but she shushed him.

Although instead of directly heading towards the window where the couple was in, the officer spoke with the coachman. Nellie prayed that the officer wasn't here to question them but only a few minutes went by until the officer shifted and tapped his finger on the window where Sweeney, Nellie and Toby resided inside the carriage.

Sweeney looked tensed and there was fear in Nellie's eyes as if they were in a horror movie trying to hide from a monster. Toby was filled with confusion but stayed silent.

"Sir, ma'am, please step out of the carriage. I have a few questions to ask you," the officer said. Sweeney and Nellie glanced at each other. There was no point in escaping, running away would only cause more problems. Not only that but when Sweeney dug into his pocket for his razor, he realized it wasn't with him, it must have fallen out when they were fleeing from the Williams' house. So there was no reason to run away but all they could do was cooperate.

The demon couple held hands and they accepted their fate as they slowly opened the carriage. The boy sitting with them was now terrified, he couldn't understand why the police were here unless it had something to do with Mr. Williams and it made him question what really happened when Nellie left to see him with the barber following her minutes later.

The officer cleared his throat, "do you know a man by the name of Alexander Williams?"

They both inhaled deeply.

"I'm not familiar with him" Sweeney said. The officer  looked at him suspiciously but turned to Nellie, waiting for her answer but she didn't know what to do. She couldn't decide if she should lie, telling the officer she never heard of Alexander Williams, or tell the truth that the deceased lawyer was her childhood friend. But she also thought there was no point in lying, Emily will tell the law about the baker's and the lawyer's false affair and will probably make up some lie that Nellie manipulated Alex to sleep with him and will gain his trust and eventually kill him to steal his money. The question is, how much of a good liar is the lady. She was curious.

"He was a childhood friend of mine" she said boldly, Sweeney immediately glared at her. Surprised by her response.

The bobby pulled out a small notepad and began to write down some notes, "I'm afraid you'll both have to come with us for more questions". There was panic in Sweeney's eyes but there wasn't much he could do except follow the officer's orders. If he behaves he may have a lighter sentence if they find out he was involve.

Nellie also obliged.

The officer realized there was a third passenger in the carriage, that passenger being Toby and asked him if he was familiar with Alex. "I met him a few times" the boy replied shyly, his voice trembling a little.

"You are coming as well" the officer grabbed Toby's shoulder and pulled him out of the carriage, making him more frightened.

"Don't touch my boy!" Nellie snapped, anger fuming inside of her. The one thing she will not allow is anyone harming her son.

The officer held up his hands in defense, "relax madam, I was only doing my job" he sneered, becoming annoyed.

"Let's move" the officer told his comrades and he paid the coachman to take the three suspects to the police station.

***

Waiting inside the interrogation room was maddening, Sweeney, Nellie and Toby waited for what seemed like hours until two officers came in. One of the bobbies had a thick mustache while the other seemed to have a permanent frown on his face, similar to Sweeney.