8 - Hold On

Vanraj finally found his way to the green room, everyone was ready for the performance.
The event had started.

The Intercollegiate Fest had all-India significance. Their college hadn't won any of the Fests over it's legacy of over three decades. Vanraj, when he had assumed the post of President, had vowed that they would win it this year.
They had won in the Sports Department, with him leading the team to a nail biting victory against St. Francis College. That was the typical "rich high class" college - the kind Vanraj very definitely hated. The feelings were mutual, actually.
That win had brought their college on par with St. Francis.

So, technically whoever won today, would win the Fest.
And Francis had been winning for the last three years.

Today, was the final event.
The dance and music contests.

The dance, Vanraj knew was sorted.
He had just seen Ronnie and Devika help the girls upto the stage for the performance.
The music was his concern.

Vanraj inhaled deeply.

Aman stood awkwardly.
"Please don't tell me—"
"Vanraj.. I told her several times.. but she refuses to join you in the performance.", He said immediately.

The worst comes true then.

"It's just one paragraph.", He said, feeling his throat go numb slowly.
"Yes.. but.. Krittika doesn't want to even meet you again..", Aman mumbled.
Vanraj felt the sting sharper than ever.
He glanced at Aman, narrow eyed, tears welling up as he held them back.

"Why? Am I the offender? Did I break promises or shatter her heart—"
"It's her, Vanraj. It's both of us.", Aman said sighing, "That's why she wants to avoid you."

Vanraj drew in another deep breath.

"I'm so sorry—"
"Get out.", Vanraj said simply, sitting back on a chair.
"It's anyways just about one paragraph of singing.. you can skip that bit.", Aman mumbled.

Vanraj's lips curved into a hollow smile.
"That bit is the most beautiful.", He whispered under his breath.

It was his singing performance. Krittika was supposed to accompany him in the song, but now, she had refused to make an appearance.
He picked up the paper on the desk. Two copies of the lyrics, one for Krittika and one for him.

He had hoped she'd come.

He could hear the song outside, the dance had started.
The classical tune, the song was an ode of love from Radha to Krishna. He  personally loved her choice in it.

The paper in his hand was also a song written by him as an ode of love to his Radha. But, maybe, he was wrong.
He was over estimated himself to ever be Krishna.
He desperately wanted to be bitter, to take revenge, yet his inner strength gave away.

He wiped a tear as he stood up, picking up the guitar kept against the table.

He would have to perform alone.

Anupamaa came back into the green room, hoping in happiness.
The performance was better than she expected.

"Anu calm down.", Devika said giggling.
"Guess who's winning? IT'S ME! Oh yes! It's Anupamaa Joshi who's winning!", Anupamaa said hoping around.