21 - Confessions of The Devil

A Few Days Later.

Vanraj sat at the desk of the Rawat Empire's Chairman. Two letters open before him.

Admission letters.

And he sat staring at them.

"Oh my God! Both of you passed IELTS and actually got accepted by Harvard!", Ronnie said trying very hard to keep calm.
"Yeah, I guess.", Vanraj said staring at the papers before him.

One with his name and the other with Anupamaa's. Acceptance letters from the US.
Anupamaa got into the Under graduation programme for Business Studies and Vanraj had casually applied for the same, Undergraduate course, because he still did not have his undergraduate degree from his college.

No one knew about his application except Ronnie.

Apparently, both of them had been accepted over their IELTS score and high school score - which was "fair".
And now with the whole Rawat Empire at their disposal, there was enough money for both of them to study and live perfectly.

Yet Vanraj did not look happy.

He picked Anupamaa's acceptance letter and put it in its envelope.
"Must give this to her and ask her to pack her bags.", He said to himself.
"And what about yours?"

Vanraj said nothing.
"You are not saying that—"
"I am not going.", He said plainly.

"Vannu you can't be serious!", Ronnie snapped.
"I am dead serious, Ronnie. It's decided. Anupamaa heads off to America and I stay back here, peacefully.", He said softly.

"And what makes you think Anupamaa will go alone?!", Ronnie asked almost challenging.
Vanraj's lips curved into a strange smile.
It was a mix of tragedy and joy, unreadable yet so transparent.

"She will, Ronnie. I know how to send her.", He whispered before taking her envelope and walking out of the cabin.

Ronnie picked up Vanraj's acceptance letter and carefully put it in the envelope.

"You and your peak stupidity never end.", He whispered to himself as he put the letter into Vanraj's office bag.
Hoping it would stay safe.

Anupamaa sat on the sofa tapping her feet nervously. It was a Saturday, so college was off.
She still wore her salwar kameez.

"What happened to you Anu?", Moti Baa asked amused.
"Arrey Moti Baa.. that college's acceptance letter is supposed to come today..", She said barely breathing.

Just then she heard a tap at the door.
She immediately jogged down to it and opened it.

Vanraj stood before her, wearing his black and white checked shirt and trousers.
Anupamaa's heart skipped a beat.

She gulped nervously and stepped aside.
Somehow Vanraj's eyes did not resonate with the smile he flashed at her.
"Gutlu.. where is the letter she's talking about?", Moti Baa asked beaming.
"Maybe I did not get selected.", Anupamaa said assuming the worst.

Vanraj raised the envelope in his hand.
"Are you sure?", He asked casually, momentarily forgetting his own worries.
Anu looked at the envelope.

"What is that?", She was about to snatch it from him when he raised his hand, way out of her reach.
Anupamaa jumped up to take it but he purposely moved his hand, enjoying as he watched her struggle like a kid.

"Give na!"
"You take na!", He said in the same stubborn torn.
She looked at him with narrowed eyes.
"Lambu Shah give it to me!", She snapped at him.
"Haww! You cannot call your husband names!", Vanraj said dramatically.
"Huh! We are still not legal!", She said immediately, jumping up once again, to no avail.