10 - Rogue For Love

"Can you believe it?! His wedding sherwani is tight?! My son is already this slim and trim and that stupid tailor still couldn't sew the sherwani right!", Leela was ranting to her mother over the telephone.

Mamaji and Hasmukh sat with tea looking at her awkwardly.
Bhairav and Maithili were busy rummaging through old clothes to find something worth the while.

And Dolly sat reading the Entertainment section of the newspaper, currently cutting out a photograph of Shah Rukh Khan from it.

Vanraj found himself standing before the mirror, in silence.
Completely zoned out. He had worn a vest, in hope to find something to wear over it.

He turned towards his cupboard. As if his feet had their own life, he walked down to the wardrobe and opened it. After a few minutes, he pulled out a navy blue blazer.
It was a Van Heusen blazer.
Vanraj knew, for a fact, that he could never buy it even with his whole life's fortune.
It was old, six years old.

"Uncle.. you are being very kind.. but.. I dont-"
"This suit will fit you when you grow up. Don't worry, take it. I can buy many.", He had said, beaming.

The smile Vanraj remembered.
It was warm, almost fatherly. He took a shirt out from the wardrobe as well.
As he wore the shirt, he had a realisation.

He had been blind all this while.

Anupamaa shared the exact same smile, the warmth, he recognised it now.

He walked down to the mirror and wore the blue blazer over his white shirt.

For moments, he stared at himself.
It was true. The blazer fit him perfectly.
He pulled the two sides close over him, putting the two buttons at the lower end.
He felt his gut wrench, throat numb.

The scene was itched in his head like an engraving on stone, except no dust of time could blur it.

"I will keep my promise, uncle.", He whispered, his breath trembled.

After almost an hour Vanraj stood in the temple, the muhrat was going to start in another fifteen minutes.
"Where is the girl?!", Bhairav asked himself irritably.

Vanraj looked at the steps of the temple, out of focus. He was wearing the same blue blazer, his family had approved of it at the last hour.
"Marriage is important, not the clothes it happens in.", His Dadi had said with a beaming smile.

He drew in a deep breath.
Somehow he felt like something was going to go wrong, all of this, his greatest guilt coming before his eyes couldn't be for nothing.
Ronnie stood beside Bhairav thoughtfully. The rest of the family stood around.

Just then he heard sharp footsteps.
"Vanraj sir!", It was Devika, panting breathlessly.
"Devi? What happened?", Ronnie asked immediately jogging down to her.
Vanraj looked at her - her hands. Coloured in red, blood red.

He felt his heart skip a beat.
"Anu..", Devika stammered, barely breathing.
Vanraj immediately jogged down to her.
"What-what happened to Anu?", He asked, barely breathing.

"We were coming.. in the rickshaw.. suddenly we got surrounded.. Anu got off and the men.. they started quarrelling. Kanta Aunty was behind us.. I.. I noticed a man pull out a gun.. but before I could do anything.. he shot Anu..", Devika mumbled sobbing.