02. fear of change

Chapter Two / Fear of change

"Please, leave, Godspeed. I can't be around you right now,
don't speak. It's a problem, it's addictive." ——
SWEET RELIEF, Madison Beer.

         THE SUN WAS GOING DOWN AND IT WAS raining by the time Nikita got home from work

She was parking her newly fixed car in the driveway of her home. It had been days since Mike got fired from the mall. Since then she hasn't known what he's been up to. She'll never forget the sounds of customers gasping and a child crying for their father. She'll never forget seeing him in hand cuffs. She'll never forget how Willow had to take her home that day instead.

Most people that know Nikita would know she hates change. The first day she worked without Mike present in the mall, it felt different. It almost made her feel sad. It almost reminded her of the day her father passed away and of the weeks she could not get out of bed because she didn't want to accept the fact that he was gone.

She feared change.

The rain fizzled out by the time the girl got out of her car and slammed the door. Both of her hands pushed her hair behind her ears. She walked into her house without a word until she saw her mother or her brother. A smile appears back on her face when she sees both of them. Logan working on some homework and mom trying to help him. Mom looks up from the assignment to see her daughter walking to the dinner table. Nikita places her bag on the chair that she typically sits at along with the poncho she wore when it was raining.

      "Hi honey, how was work today?" Mom asks sharing a smile with her daughter.

      "Good." Nikita says simply.

      "That's good. You look nice in that sweater." Mom compliments and points the wooden pencil she was using out at her daughter.